Hate the button-down collar with suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Shoe City Thinker, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Shoe City Thinker

Shoe City Thinker Senior member

I hate the look. I know it's trad and all that (plus bag of chips). The button-down is a soft, casual collared shirt that more at home with a more casual look (tweed SP, odd jacket, under a sweater). Nothing spoils a spiffy well-cut suit, natty tie, stylish shoes with either a pinpoint or full oxford button down collared shirt. The formal air of a continental-cut suit paired with that Charvet pin-dot tie demands a crisp, well-structured collar. The floppy, sloppy button down collar with a crisp, smart outfit is incongruous and kills the look. Save the OCBDs for your business casual outfit.

Don't get me started on pairing an OCBD with a suit that has a 3-button jacket. That look reminds me of what an engineering B.Sc. candidate would wear to his co-op internship interview.

/EOR

2. Bargs

Bargs Senior member

3. Raralith

Raralith Senior member

I don't like the look either, but I find it a bit more acceptable on older gentlemen. Morgan Freeman in Batman was a good choice for BDC's. He even rocked a bowtie with it too.

4. Shoe City Thinker

I caved in and bought more white and light blue Pinpoint Oxford shirts with button down collars despite years of only having one just for casual wear or with a blazer. I've been wearing these to interviews as not to look pretentious and give off an elitist air. God forbid spread collar + double cuffs = elitist. They OCBDs will be dragged out when I need to look like a common man that everyone wants to take out for a beer. But my heart says "wear the moderate spread double cuff shirt, interesting tie, AE Strands, Baroni navy pinstripe suit and rock it at the interview". Tired of over-thinking this.

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

Will I explode brains if I show you an OCBD with double cuffs?

6. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

[​IMG]

Another one here on your side. I only wear a button down with SC or just casual wear. I also don't it is appropriate with a suit, but then a persons sence of style or fashion is just there opinion, and opinions are like aholes -- everyone has one.

7. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Or how about a Runbinacci DB suit with OCBD shirt!

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I remember going to Europe in the 80's on business and being the only American and the only guy with a suit and OCBD. But it was OK. It seemed genuine American in a good way. Just like the French had to wear a certain cut of suit and a spread collar and plain tie or they weren't being French. It worked.

I hate the look. I know it's trad and all that (plus bag of chips). The button-down is a soft, casual collared shirt that more at home with a more casual look (tweed SP, odd jacket, under a sweater). Nothing spoils a spiffy well-cut suit, natty tie, stylish shoes with either a pinpoint or full oxford button down collared shirt. The formal air of a continental-cut suit paired with that Charvet pin-dot tie demands a crisp, well-structured collar. The floppy, sloppy button down collar with a crisp, smart outfit is incongruous and kills the look. Save the OCBDs for your business casual outfit.

Don't get me started on pairing an OCBD with a suit that has a 3-button jacket. That look reminds me of what an engineering B.Sc. candidate would wear to his co-op internship interview.

/EOR

9. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

The OCBDs will be dragged out when I need to look like a common man that everyone wants to take out for a beer.

Totally sig worthy!

10. Shoe City Thinker

I've seen this travesty before. My lawyer wears them.... to court!

11. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

I've seen this travesty before. My lawyer wears them.... to court!

That's an elitist look. It's proof that he doesn't buy his shirts OTR.

12. Shoe City Thinker

That's an elitist look. It's proof that he doesn't buy his shirts OTR.

The Englishman in me hates the concept of an rough oxxford cloth, button down collar, and double cuffs. Being a civilized man means respecting etiquette and protocol. Leave such clap-trap to the Yanks and the chavs whom imitate the Yanker-wankers.

13. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

I don't like button down collars period except on schoolchildren or old men. They look too deliberately conservative and unsexy to my eye.

14. Shoe City Thinker

I don't like button down collars period except on schoolchildren or old men. They look too deliberately conservative and unsexy to my eye.

They look supremely frumpy. Which is why they're peas in a pod with the trad American sack suit. If you want to look like and old-skool IBMer, knock yourself right out.

15. blahman

blahman Senior member

Then comes the funny thing. A slimmer fit one with a small collar is now trendy...