• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat recommendations?

MCH-est.1818

Reaction score
I'm looking for a hat to pair with my charcoal herringbone chesterfield overcoat. I came across a mini check fedora at Brooks Brothers that looks pretty nice.

I'd like to solicit recommendations on this hat or if there is another style worth considering. Thanks in advance.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
That fedora is wool, and won't really hold its shape over time. Fur felt hats are much nicer, and warmer, too. For hats, I think going vintage is much better - the prices are good, the felt is usually tighter and nicer, and there are long oval and wide oval fits if you need them. You can truck over to the Fedora Lounge, or scour ebay. Good vintage brands include Cavanagh, Dobbs, Knox, Disney, Stetson, Resistol, Champ, Mayser, Wegener, Crofut & Knapp.

I usually wear a Dobbs underwelt or Cavanagh cav-edge fedora when it's cold or rains.

viator

Reaction score
I like that hat, it reminds me of 60s college football coach or a loan shark, but in a good way. Most people probably can't pull that off, though.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you checked out the Fedora Lounge forum? Some really stylish hat ideas are to be found there, although - in very SF like fashion, they will steer you towards some higher end stuff like Optimo and Borsalino.

For my taste, that brim is a little thin for a fedora.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Consider this in the light grey, instead. I'm not a fan of the Bear Bryant style hat. It can be fine, I suppose, for a less formal coat (rain shell, etc.), but I don't think it's dressy enough for a Chesterfield.

The above looks to be a good budget option, and may be all you need. You can move up the food chain with Stetson, Akubra, Borsalino, Art Fawcett and Optimo. Vintage is fantastic, but there's a learning curve to avoid getting burned.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCH-est.1818
I'm looking for a hat to pair with my charcoal herringbone chesterfield overcoat.

I'd like to solicit recommendations on this hat or if there is another style worth considering. Thanks in advance.

Go back to BB and ask to see their "made in Italy" 168.00 dollar list price fur felt fedora. It's sturdier, still a soft hat (for beginners and odd heads) and looks WORLDS better. I just bought one. YMMV.

Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
You will look fine with it.
As long as you ride a bicycle with no brakes and roll up your right pant leg to below your knee at odd moments.

Originally Posted by bigbjorn
That fedora is wool, and won't really hold its shape over time. Fur felt hats are much nicer, and warmer, too. For hats, I think going vintage is much better - the prices are good, the felt is usually tighter and nicer, and there are long oval and wide oval fits if you need them. You can truck over to the Fedora Lounge, or scour ebay. Good vintage brands include Cavanagh, Dobbs, Knox, Disney, Stetson, Resistol, Champ, Mayser, Wegener, Crofut & Knapp.

I usually wear a Dobbs underwelt or Cavanagh cav-edge fedora when it's cold or rains.

All true, allthough I don't have experience with the vintage.

Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
For my taste, that brim is a little thin for a fedora.
So thin, it ISN'T a fedora.

Originally Posted by viator
I like that hat, it reminds me of 60s college football coach or a loan shark, but in a good way. Most people probably can't pull that off, though.
See above and add bike hipsters to the list (in a good way).
laugh.gif

Fred H.

Reaction score
Agree with theFedoraLounge recommendation. Great hat experts. Also agree with the vintage/eBay suggestion. (That is presuming you don't have a melon-head like mine -- 7.75 in. -- which come up rarely at auction.) Can personally vouch for Art Fawcett's AWESOME custom hats. At slightly more than $300, his lightweight 100% beaver lids fit precisely and are noting short of amazing:

LaSalle_1.jpg

Vintage Silhouettes by Art Fawcett

doctorfeelyg

Reaction score
After wearing a battered old vintage trilby (purchsed from a flea market) for the last 3 years I was thrilled to be given one of these by the wife for Christmas:

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/images/...-&-hat-box.jpg
http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Trilbys...felt-P324.aspx

The fit is amazingly comfortable. We looked at Bates first but found the service and selection were better at Locks. They also had a new range in called "Lock & Roll" which might appeal.

Would also agree with the suggestion to check out the fedora lounge forum, seems to be a great resource for all things hat related.

Good luck

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guy comes in asking about a RTW wool walking hat, and gets recommended a top end custom with a several month wait.

I love it.

OP: if you have a reasonably sized head, vintage fur felt from e-bay is your best bet.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Consider this in the light grey, instead. I'm not a fan of the Bear Bryant style hat. It can be fine, I suppose, for a less formal coat (rain shell, etc.), but I don't think it's dressy enough for a Chesterfield. The above looks to be a good budget option, and may be all you need. You can move up the food chain with Stetson, Akubra, Borsalino, Art Fawcett and Optimo. Vintage is fantastic, but there's a learning curve to avoid getting burned.
I'll agree with Alan on this. A nice fur felt hat is the way to go. Vintage can be a fun. I recently picked up a nice vintage Royal Stetson fedora for 20 bucks. Hard to beat that price.

Wideknot

Reaction score
As many others have noted, the hat the OP referenced is a casual walking hat that wouldn't coordinate well with a formal Chesterfield overcoat. He needs a true fedora. I have had wonderful experiences dealing with the following:

For RTW there is:
Optimo Hats (also bespoke): http://www.optimohats.com/felt/
Miller Hats: http://www.millerhats.com/
Hats Direct (good source for Akubra): http://www.hatsdirect.com/index.html

For bespoke you can try:
Art Fawcett/vintage Silhouettes (as already recommended): http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/
Penman Hats: http://www.penmanhats.com/Home_Page.html

Edward

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCH-est.1818
I'm looking for a hat to pair with my charcoal herringbone chesterfield overcoat. I came across a mini check fedora at Brooks Brothers that looks pretty nice.

If you live in the New York City area, I recommend trying Bancraft hatters in Brooklyn - they have a large selection and knowledgeable salesmen. The hat you selected is nice but I agree with the the poster who said that a chesterfield overcoat deserves a less informal hat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads