• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat matching

dsmolken

Reaction score
I currently own one brimmed hat and it is brown but I want to get another one in a different color. Then then question becomes which hat to wear with what. What are the rules? Do you match your hat and/or hatband to a particular item or avoid specific combinations?

HatMagnet

Reaction score
I wear a thin ribbon gray fedora with almost anything and a black one for solemn for funerals and more formal functions. The brown one is usually used for casual/everyday wear,although I have a suit that it matches well.
All the above hats are Akubra's.

Eagle

Reaction score
My hat color for the day is usually geared off of the color of my coat on that day.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eagle
My hat color for the day is usually geared off of the color of my coat on that day.
+1. I have a midnight blue fedora I wear with my black overcoat and a green one I wear with my brown tweed overcoat and my light sage trench coat.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Except with (semi-/)formal clothes the hat color doesn't need to match anything. If you have a brown fedora, I'd get a gray fedora next (unless you routinely wear black tie, in which case a black homburg is just the thing).

Classically

Reaction score
As Bird's One View pointed, the hat doesn't have to match anything unless it's a formal occasion. I disagree with having to match a hat with semi-formal attire since a hat in itself is considered going above and beyond the call of sensible dress. Look at the lnks below for hat advice. My attire is dark grey for casual, black for formal (although I might switch it to Navy/Midnight if I can scrape up the cash for one). I try to avoid wearing anything that has the same color and tone of my hats. I repeat: http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatcolor.html http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
If you have the brown, then go with gray next, or navy if you prefer. One in each of those colors plus a Panama and you have all you ever need. (Although not necessarily want.)

dsmolken

Reaction score
Thanks. That helps, I need to get a new overcoat also so I can make sure they look good together.

Something else hat-color-related that I'm curious about: why is it that different colors are common in fedoras and Western hats? I mean, Western hats pretty much only come in brown, black or silverbelly; anything else is rare as hen's teeth, even grey. Is there a traditional or historical reason for that?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Except with (semi-/)formal clothes the hat color doesn't need to match anything. If you have a brown fedora, I'd get a gray fedora next (unless you routinely wear black tie, in which case a black homburg is just the thing).

Good advice.

yo!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
I need to get a new overcoat also so I can make sure they look good together.

Not necessarily, I have seen a brown hat work with a black overcoat. The trick was that he had a light brown colored scarf to tie the two together.

Granted this can probably only work with a black or charcoal coat and not work with say a black on navy scheme.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
Not necessarily, I have seen a brown hat work with a black overcoat. The trick was that he had a light brown colored scarf to tie the two together.
Oh, I see I should have written "I need to get a new overcoat anyway so I might as well make sure they look good together". Sorry about that. I certainly wouldn't buy a new overcoat just because I had a new hat.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only got two narrow ribboned fedoras - one black, one brown. I generally wear the brown with green and browns, and the black with navy or charcoal, but will mix about, particularly if I'm wearing a scarf to match the hat. A grey one will definitely be added when I can find one I like.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
I definitely second the recommendation for a grey hat, either with a self band or one in a darker grey; I have three and I find myself wearing one or other most days. I usually try and choose a hat which complements my overcoat (or suit if I am not wearing a coat) or otherwise picks up a tone in my outfit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads