• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat identification.

MrThursday

Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping someone on here would be able to tell me what style of hat this is. Thanks in advance.
Hat.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beyond a fedora, I’m not really sure. I know there are a number of different takes on the classic.

MrThursday

Reaction score
Thank you both, now I have something to go on. Been trying to get out of my cap comfort zone and try something new.

adrianvo

Reaction score
Thank you both, now I have something to go on. Been trying to get out of my cap comfort zone and try something new.
Can also add "wide brim" in your search as well as "felt". Also notice how the front is unpinched.

That kind of wide belt instead of a ribbon is quite uncommon for fedoras also, especially with a small feather.

MrThursday

Reaction score
Can also add "wide brim" in your search as well as "felt". Also notice how the front is unpinched.

That kind of wide belt instead of a ribbon is quite uncommon for fedoras also, especially with a small feather.

So a felt, wide brim(raw edge if I'm not mistaken), teardrop(unpicnhed) fedora with a wide leather belt. I could do without the feather. I'm thinking I'll have to find a hat that's close enough and do a little customization afterward. Thanks again.

Also, I'll be sure to check out Optimo.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another great shop (I gotta shill my locals!) Is:

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have a look at the work of two Italian hat makers Reinhard Plank and Kloshar, who take an innovative approach to traditional hat silhouettes. The results are uniquely personalized and very versatile for everyday wear.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me add regarding manufacturers.
I have 2 Optimo hats - they're great. And, they were in-stock so I didn't have to wait. BUT, their prices have gone through the roof. I have had custom hats made by Wellema (2) and Northwest Hats (3).
Optimo charges $1000, Wellema $800 and Northwest about $425 - all for the same felts. But, for Wellema and Northwest you might have to wait 3-4 months to get a hat built. All 3 are excellent quality. But, once you know what you like, there is absolutely zero about an Optimo hat that makes it worth twice the cost of a Northwest hat.
There are other hat makers as well.
Having said all of that, it's hard to recommend you throw down this type of money without knowing what looks good on YOU. Crown height, brim width, color, center crease vs teardrop - these all change how the hat looks. It's completely different than buying a baseball cap where the shape/brim is a lot more standard. It may be worth a search in your area - even if you have to drive a few hours - to get to a hat shop that sells off-the-rack fedoras (e.g. Stetson, Baily of Hollywood, etc). Are they as nice? Nope. But, spending $130 and getting something you decide you're not happy with long term is a lot better than spending $800 or $1000. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me add regarding manufacturers.
I have 2 Optimo hats - they're great. And, they were in-stock so I didn't have to wait. BUT, their prices have gone through the roof. I have had custom hats made by Wellema (2) and Northwest Hats (3).
Optimo charges $1000, Wellema $800 and Northwest about $425 - all for the same felts. But, for Wellema and Northwest you might have to wait 3-4 months to get a hat built. All 3 are excellent quality. But, once you know what you like, there is absolutely zero about an Optimo hat that makes it worth twice the cost of a Northwest hat.
There are other hat makers as well.
Having said all of that, it's hard to recommend you throw down this type of money without knowing what looks good on YOU. Crown height, brim width, color, center crease vs teardrop - these all change how the hat looks. It's completely different than buying a baseball cap where the shape/brim is a lot more standard. It may be worth a search in your area - even if you have to drive a few hours - to get to a hat shop that sells off-the-rack fedoras (e.g. Stetson, Baily of Hollywood, etc). Are they as nice? Nope. But, spending $130 and getting something you decide you're not happy with long term is a lot better than spending $800 or $1000. Good luck in whatever you decide!

I’m not really a hat person aside from throwing on a ball cap when running to Lowe’s.

It’s interesting to hear your take on Optimo. While I appreciate the work that goes into them, I’m hard pressed to spend >$1000 for a hat even if I was into them.

MrThursday

Reaction score
I'm very grateful for all this information, I had a feeling this would be the right place to ask. But yeah, I think my wife would have my head if I dropped $1000 on a hat. lol. I've seen a few promising hats for under $200 and I'll keep looking. Thank you all again.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
That hat is basically a fedora but it is not flanged (brim shape) to be a snap brim style. It is a flat or very nearly flat brim flange. The snap brim has a roll or curvature from crown out to brim edge. This brim roll will give the ability to pull down the front while the back stay up. pulling don the front is the "snap". Or a snap brim can be worn with brim up all way around to be more casual or chill. That hat in photo has what looks to be a leather band with buckle instead of the ribbed grosgrain that is the more usual band of a "dress" fedora. You may find a lot of fedoras that approximate the photo but will have the grosgrain band. The band can be changed. I have fedoras from a few different custom makers and NW Hats and Gannon hats great. I do not have nor have I handled a Wellema hat but a fe whose opinion I trust say his hats are top notch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads