• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat discussion

DSKent

Reaction score
I have yet to see any discussion of hats on this forum, and I have often wondered about what others think of them. I lived most of my life in a tropical climate. When I was a kid, I had lots of caps, but I never had any hats that were meant to keep my head warm. Now that I'm living up here, I need something to keep my head warm in all these blizzards.
biggrin.gif
At the same time, I don't want to look like an idiot. I know I would look stupid wearing a bucket hat, and not so sure about a skull cap. But I guess that would be my simplest, warmest, and most casual option. Do you think it's obnoxious to wear one of those red-striped Prada ones? Also, I plan on starting a job in January. A few days a week, I wear a suit, and the others, sportcoat and tie. What kind of hat can I wear with this outfit. Keep in mind I'm only 20, so I don't want to wear anything that seems inconsistent with my age or personal style, but at the same time, I want to seem professional. Maybe just wear a ski cap or something in transit and remove it before arriving or should I just forget the whole hat thing and deal with the cold? Sorry if this all seems really stupid, just all this dealing with gloves, scarves, hats, etc. is a lot different from what I'm used to. Thanks in advance for your help.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any hat that you try on and like will be consistent with your personal style. don't worry about the age thing either.

i haven't worn a hat since i was in 5th grade. there was a store at disneyland called the mad hatter that sold regular everyday hats, not the novelty kind sold elsewhere in the park. i chose a thick wool cap like the ones you see in all those 1920s and 30s movies. i'm not sure what they're called. i wore it to school everyday for a couple of weeks and then got sick of it. if i were to ever buy another hat, i'd look for something like that one.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a suit, you may want to consider a persian lamb hat.
persian-lamb.jpg
Otherwise, a plain, envelope style wool hat is nice. Â Kai

Mike

Reaction score
Just picked myself up a snap brim wool fedora the other day. I don't know if this really fits your personal style but I like 'em. Used to wear my grandpa's all the time as a kid. They look really classy when paired with a suit or a nice wool overcoat. Think of Bogart in the classic films he was in, or Frank Sinatra on basically any album cover of his from the 50s. Timeless. Oh yeah, I'm 21 years old so I think the look works for younger people.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any hat that you try on and like will be consistent with your personal style.
dskent, i take back this comment. thinking about it, i realize that in my younger days i had buyer's remorse about half the time i bought clothing, especially shoes. it has to do with age in the sense that you don't really know yourself until you're in your late 20s, maybe even 30 (so i've heard. i haven't hit thirty yet.) you don't know yourself because you are still becoming yourself, if that makes sense to you.

so when you buy clothes, you're basically experimenting a lot. there's your first suit, your first good shoes, facial hair/no facial hair, that type of thing. when you get older you'll be able to walk into a store and immediately recognize what merchandise is dskent style and what isn't.

if i knew a way of getting through this without making any mistakes i'd tell you. you're going to buy some things and then realize a day or a week or a month later that it just isn't you. that's life. just make sure that whatever hat you buy goes with the clothes you already have and save your receipt.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DSKent
I have yet to see any discussion of hats on this forum, and I have often wondered about what others think of them. I lived most of my life in a tropical climate. When I was a kid, I had lots of caps, but I never had any hats that were meant to keep my head warm. Now that I'm living up here, I need something to keep my head warm in all these blizzards.
biggrin.gif

At the same time, I don't want to look like an idiot. I know I would look stupid wearing a bucket hat, and not so sure about a skull cap. But I guess that would be my simplest, warmest, and most casual option. Do you think it's obnoxious to wear one of those red-striped Prada ones?

Also, I plan on starting a job in January. A few days a week, I wear a suit, and the others, sportcoat and tie. What kind of hat can I wear with this outfit. Keep in mind I'm only 20, so I don't want to wear anything that seems inconsistent with my age or personal style, but at the same time, I want to seem professional. Maybe just wear a ski cap or something in transit and remove it before arriving or should I just forget the whole hat thing and deal with the cold?

Sorry if this all seems really stupid, just all this dealing with gloves, scarves, hats, etc. is a lot different from what I'm used to. Thanks in advance for your help.

I think a simple inexpensive fedora would give you an idea of the appearance you seek but possibly not the feel of what a good hat rides like. Watch some movies and see who in a similar group to you is wearing or recall what is being worn regardless of the group in the movies you always see yourself as the character in .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads