• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat and scarf - should they be the same colour?

Johnny_V

Reaction score
Hi everyone - quick question - do you think it's proper for a man to wear the same, solid colour, hat and scarf?
What's everyones take on this?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go for colours that contrast one another but compliment the coat you are wearing.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Go for colours that contrast one another but compliment the coat you are wearing.
Welcome to Styleforum.

x2. Also there's no reason they both have to be solid colours.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome to Styleforum.

Scarf: "Hi coat. You are very handsome."
Coat: "Thanks scarf. You are kind of cute, too."
:rimshot:
Kidding aside, I agree with MoL. Also, similar but not matching hat and scarf colors with similar depth of hues can work as well, if that makes sense.

Johnny_V

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies!

I was thinking of purchasing a purple cashmere hat to match a purple cashmere scarf that I have - they were 99% identical in colour. What stopped me from getting it was the fact that I had a mental image of only children and women wearing matching hats/scarves - hence the reason for this post.

Again thanks

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about getting various scarves and hats and mixing and coordinating with your coat like you would a tie and pocket square?

Also, consider tweed caps and the like. Knit caps often look like you just gave up.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How about getting various scarves and hats and mixing and coordinating with your coat like you would a tie and pocket square?
Also, consider tweed caps and the like. Knit caps often look like you just gave up.

True, but knit caps can sometimes go over the ear (this might be important depending on where you live and if you commute on foot).

BabyCutie

Reaction score
similar predicament here.

got a black beanie with a navy winter coat.

what colour scarf would you advise?

any old neutral colour to match black? grey?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all but formal situations, two clothes in neutral colors allow the third piece to be almost any color. Though white, yellow, and pink scarves are not recommended with that.

jjones245

Reaction score
Agree with the others here - depends on the rest of the ensemble. For example, with neutral coat and hat, you could probably wear many contrasting colors. If neutral color, the hat and scarf could match, if it is a brighter/flashier tone, then this might be less bulletproof. If you wear something bolder, like a houndstooth pattern, then you would want to stick with neutral hat/coat.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course they are going to be of different colours - where on earth do you expect to find a red paisley bowler hat or fedora to go with a red paisley silk scarf?

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I really do not recommend a purple hat. Get a mid-dark brown instead. Then, if you're in the market for a second hat, get a dark grey one. Etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads