• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hashimoto's Disease/Thyroid

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My doc diagnosed me after a blood test with an auto-immune/thyroid disease called Hashimoto''s Disease

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/has...isease/DS00567

I've busted ****** the last few years to cut up, and build some muscle, but I always felt like I should be in better, more cut up shape, than I am. I run/work out 5-6 days per week (nd for much of last year would go two to three weeks before taking a rest day) and I was always tired (I put it off to having two kids). i'd wake up at 5:15Am for work, and be asleep by 9:30PM.

Doc perscribed me Synthroid and I'm hoping this will give me a bit more energy and get my metabolism to the point its at now without having to be nuts about my diet and exercise. If I do keep up meticulously watching what I eat, and working out (the working out part shouldn't be too hard, especially if I have more energy) should I expect to see results or am I kidding myself.

Anyone have this? Anyone try Synthroid? How'd it go?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have taken t3 but niot for intended purposes, but i intend to get a thyroid check as i should be in better shape than i am considering training and diet intensity

phillyluv267

Reaction score
I've been on Synthroid for the past 8 years. I was diagnosed with Thyroid disease (Graves Disease) while in college. Before I was diagnosed, dropped a hole bunch of weight. My normal weight was 187 and I dropped down to 135, I was depressed all the time and didn't know what was wrong with me. I finally got successfully diagnosed and got the Thyroid killed through a radiation pill and I'm on Synthroid the rest of my life. If I miss my Synthroid my mood changes and I get very cranky and jittery and my weight has stayed a consistent 185-190. I get blood work done every 6 months to make sure my levels stay consistent.

bigbucky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Doc perscribed me Synthroid and I'm hoping this will give me a bit more energy
Depends how low your numbers were. If they were just mildly low you might not see much of an effect.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's when I was ~10. I lost about 10 pounds in a month or so, which was a lot for a little kid. I've managed to get quite lean a few times, but I'm also diabetic (diabetics are prone to Hashimoto's) so it makes direct comparison difficult. If I skip the synthroid for awhile, I'll start getting quite tired and it goes away within a few days of getting back on it.

What's your synthroid dose? Mine is pretty miniscule, only 50 micrograms.

Monaco

Reaction score
Please do research into iodine deficiency.

runner-guy

Reaction score
My wife has Hashimoto's and she is also taking levothyroxine (generic for Synthroid). The med has really improved her energy level and symptoms. Auto-immune diseases are very weird because I think often times they go undiagnosed. My wife had two miscarriages in the past few years and we suspect it was from Hashimoto's or some other related auto-immune disorder, although it's hard to prove. Fortunately she got pregnant again and we're having our first baby in Feb.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My wife has a hypothyroid condition, though I know little about it. She has been on synthroid since it was discovered during her childhood - she got really tired and actually ended up collapsing and going into a coma for about a week. It took a while for anyone to diagnose it - they kept insisting to her parents that it must have been drugs, and did they know who she was hanging out with, etc.

She is now totally healthy and normal as a result of the synthroid. As others have noted, she gets very moody, tweaky, and jittery if she misses it for a few days, but most of the time everything is A-OK.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monaco
Please do research into iodine deficiency.

Hashimoto's is auto-immune, so I doubt iodine has anything to do with it.

shaunmedrik

Reaction score
Hashimoto's disease is a disease, and hypothyroidism is a condition. Hypothyroidism is most commonly caused by Hashimoto's disease, but the two terms are not interchangeable.Its Diagnosis is Enlargement of the thyroid, known as a goiter , High levels of antibodies against thyroglobulin and thyroid peroxidase detected via blood test.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Its mostly found in pregnant women. I believe its 10% of all patients are men. Or at least something along those lines.

It has nothing to do with iodine deficiency.

NYR - talk with your DR about Synthroid vs. generic synthroid. There are quite a number of Endocrinologists who swear up and down that the generic is nowhere near as good as the brand. My Endo, who's on the national board of Endo's, says they've been lobbying the FDA to take levothyroxine off the market, sadly with little to no effect.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
NYR - talk with your DR about Synthroid vs. generic synthroid. There are quite a number of Endocrinologists who swear up and down that the generic is nowhere near as good as the brand. My Endo, who's on the national board of Endo's, says they've been lobbying the FDA to take levothyroxine off the market, sadly with little to no effect.

My endocrinologist also swore that the brand name was more effective than the generic. I've always used Synthroid, it's not particularly expensive.

Sunnydale

Reaction score
That sucks. Don't have Hashimoto's disease, but have read of others with it. Don't think this will help you, but have been reading about the potential problem with our nations attempt to lower sodium. Salt is often fortified with iodine, which helps keep our thyroid glands healthy. With out iodine, we'll be seeing more goiters basically. http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...ealthcare.html Don't think iodine will help with your condition at this point though. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads