Has the Web changed your reading habits?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, May 19, 2009.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

To be honest, I think it has affected mine. When reading a book or long essay, I often get the urge to run to the PC and Google something of note. It's become harder to spend two or three hours immersed in a text. Are our brains becoming indices. http://theamericanscene.com/2009/05/...in-is-an-index

2. whacked

whacked Senior member

Absolutely. Undoing this shift toward a miniscule attention span is first on my to-do list ATM.

3. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Hell yes.

I wish I could ctrl+F some of my overpriced textbooks. Would save me a lot of time.

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Not really. I can still read several pages before feeling a need to do something else. [​IMG]

Seriously though, I've always been able to read intensely for several hours straight if I enjoy what I'm reading, or if I think it is important enough. I've polished off about 1000 pages of technical reading in the past 2 and a bit weeks. And I don't use google when I read, unless I'm really confused about something, which is almost never.

I skim articles when I read online, but usually because they're only marginally interesting to me in the first place.

5. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I can still sit and read a book for hours. I can't recall most of what goes on unless I've taken the time to analyze it separate of the the reading though- this isn't a major change for me though. I also don't read as much because I'm busy on the web.

So I guess yes, it has changed my reading habits a bit.

Edit- also, I found that bit about indexing to be very accurate with regards to how my mind works.

6. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Yeah. I have much less time to read than I used to because of the internet. When I force myself to shut off the computer I can still read a book the way I used to though. But it's hard to not use the internet. I feel like I'm missing something when I'm away from it. Edit: What the Internet has really fucked is my movie watching. I'm in the middle of watching The Last Picture Show on my laptop right now, but I got a sudden urge to get on the internet. I disgust myself.

7. x26

x26 Senior member

Up until three years or so I would read the print additions of 2-4 daily newspapers. Lately I read everything on the web, about 2-4 hours per day.

8. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

While I'm at it, the web has fucked my sleeping habits all to hell. I need to wake up in 5 hours...

9. Liam

Liam Senior member

I think the internet actually encourages ADD. Makes a lot of people's attention span lesser and lesser, so sitting still reading just "one" thing is almost impossible to do for an extended amount of time.

10. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Here's a great program from NPR about this exact topic: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=91543814 "Is the Internet Making Us Stupid?" and another article http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" and the blog post that I side with, arguing against the Google article: From http://eripsa.org/blog/2008/06/distraction/

11. Persiflage

Persiflage Active Member

I'm trying to get back in the habit of reading books. I used to devour books from the library. Now I just devour styleforum. Still, I wonder if we're also becoming better able to handle multitasking -- switching back and forth from one task to another. There's usually some period of reduced efficiency as you switch from one task to another, but this period of reduced efficiency might be reduced as we become more accustomed to switching.

12. samurai

samurai Senior member

The net has made me realise how much I love books. I enjoy the actual holding of a book in my hands, feeling the paper and turning the pages. That, plus most of the wisdom of the world is in books, not on the net.

The internet is good for instant access to information, but quite frankly I am reading books more and more, and spending less time on the web. But that's just me.

13. Vito

Vito Senior member

I've recently been limiting my daily Internet time so I can maximize my reading time. I know that it's possible to do "serious reading" on the Internet, but most of my webtime is spent goofing around -- lurking forums and messageboards, looking at photos of naked chicks, and reading bar & restaurant reviews -- time which could be better spent reading something worthwhile.

My self-imposed Internet rules are now 20 minutes per day to take care of serious things (e-mail, bank & credit card accounts, and all that stuff) and 20 minutes for anything else. Only time will tell if I can stick to the plan, especially when there's so many photos of naked chicks on the Internet.

14. samurai

samurai Senior member

I've recently been limiting my daily Internet time so I can maximize my reading time. I know that it's possible to do "serious reading" on the Internet, but most of my webtime is spent goofing around -- lurking forums and messageboards, looking at photos of naked chicks, and reading bar & restaurant reviews -- time which could be better spent reading something worthwhile.

My self-imposed Internet rules are now 20 minutes per day to take care of serious things (e-mail, bank & credit card accounts, and all that stuff) and 20 minutes for anything else. Only time will tell if I can stick to the plan, especially when there's so many photos of naked chicks on the Internet.

I feel your pain. There is a tug of war going on inside me between Samuel Johnson and Kim Kardashian.
    Not a pretty picture...

15. Vito

Vito Senior member

I feel your pain. There is a tug of war going on inside me between Samuel Johnson and Kim Kardashian.
    Not a pretty picture...

I'm with ya, bro. For me, it's a struggle between Tolstoy and Jennifer Walcott. Tough choice.