• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has RRL jumped the shark?

Amelorn

Reaction score
Comparing Rugby with Chaps? That's a bit harsh.

Having digressed with that, I am with davesmith. It's not particularly exclusive. "Exclusive" is ONE location (See Bergdorf Goodman). This is a "luxury mall" brand (eg Americana Manhasset). This is distinct from a luxury "mall brand."

warrenjl1

Reaction score
Yes. I think comparing Rugby to Chaps is a bit over the top as well. That's like refusing to shop at J. Crew since J. Crew is for poor people. Rugby fits a niche and has always done some absolutely stunning sport coats that may or may not fit your tastes. Either way, they are definitely investment worthy pieces.

Anyway... I think making the RRL stuff available online isn't going to be a huge deal really. Most people still aren't going to pay (or are able to pay) full price for it. I know I won't. And yes. I can still go to the Polo outlet and pick up a custom fit dress shirt for $40, but I still REALLY want some of the Black and Purple label stuff. Just out of my reach at this point. Same thing with RRL. I can buy a cheap chambray from the Polo outlet, but I still REALLY want the RRL version. Ralph has a bunch of niches and I think he keeps them just separate enough to make them all very viable for their intended audience.

For the record, I own a pair of RRL Slim Bootcuts I got on SF for $80. I'd consider paying full price for a pair of selvedge officer chinos, but that's about it.

erk

Reaction score
oh christ... and this video

http://www.ralphlauren.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=11757742&ab=global_men_denimsupply

Its like an addiction to irony? Doubly ironic? WhyTF are the "authentic" characters - the bohemian, artist, free-spirit analogs - waiting for the snap of the clapper board?

Its like the design agency is yelling out, this brand is a total f'ing crock of ****. We are going to insult your intelligence and laugh that you don't even notice. We'll make workwear, blue-collar clothes and sell them at exorbitantly inflated prices that actual blue-collar workers can't afford. You'll draw inspiration from their toil! Win!

F me. I hate advertising.

Manfred Freitag

Reaction score
My grandfather was killed by some hobos in a railyard fight back in the 40s. Spending thousands of dollars on work coats and denim and bowery boots is my way of paying homage to him.

That and choking hobos to get an erection.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My grandfather was killed by some hobos in a railyard fight back in the 40s. Spending thousands of dollars on work coats and denim and bowery boots is my way of paying homage to him.

That and choking hobos to get an erection.
Lefty, iammatt, and I would like to pay for your move to San Francisco.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
so i didn't really read most of the posts because the OP is so ******* stupid.

RRL has /always/ made a mixture of seasonal pieces (the whacky **** you're equating with originality and value) and basics. just because rrl, chaps and polo all make a pink oxford doesn't mean there's a degradation of the design aesthetic of RRL.

basically what your post is is this: "it upsets me that the design aesthetic that i think is so exclusive because it's so expensive is trickling down to cheaper brands, and it makes me feel less special"

not only is it wrong, it's asinine.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so i didn't really read most of the posts because the OP is so ******* stupid.

RRL has /always/ made a mixture of seasonal pieces (the whacky **** you're equating with originality and value) and basics. just because rrl, chaps and polo all make a pink oxford doesn't mean there's a degradation of the design aesthetic of RRL.

basically what your post is is this: "it upsets me that the design aesthetic that i think is so exclusive because it's so expensive is trickling down to cheaper brands, and it makes me feel less special"

not only is it wrong, it's asinine.

TIL what asinine means.

Yes OP is stupid.. how can you say Rugby is the new Chaps. Chaps would never carry Caruso suits, Selvedge Jeans, and Vintage Watches - let alone the entire line's general 'edgy prep' look and style. Even the price point is opposite of Chaps.

I guess in the end RRL is less exclusive, but that is fine. I barely know anyone that even knows what RRL is. People always ask me what the RRL symbol on my shirt means. I have yet to meet anyone who owns something from Rugby, other than my mom who I bought a dress she asked for. I would say they are similar in exclusivity tbh.

OP your problem will persist when you see RRL Factory Stores, similar to Polo Ralph Lauren Factory stores in outlets.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
I'm lost- what is the value of exclusivity in this situation? Does the **** fit you well? Do you like the styling? For me, the answer is yes to both so who cares about exclusivity. How "exclusive" can a OCBD be anyhow?

The only situation that readily comes to mind where exclusivity has some sort value to me is when the garment or product was made specifically for you. That certainly isn't the situation here.

BABuckeye

Reaction score

Comparing Rugby with Chaps? That's a bit harsh.

Yes. I think comparing Rugby to Chaps is a bit over the top as well. .

Yes OP is stupid.. how can you say Rugby is the new Chaps.

Not saying Rugby of 2011 is equivalent to Chaps of 2011 (which is no longer a RL brand); rather, just pointing out that both are diffusion lines from Ralph Lauren geared toward a younger audience. I own a couple Rugby items and think the line is well received by a generally younger audience. I never owned any Chaps items but I believe it was received in a similarly positive way in its heyday in the late 70s or early 80s.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just want to know what 'diffusion line' even means when you're talking about Ralph Lauren. There appears to be no mainline.

:confused:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't all Ralph Lauren labels start on the other side of the shark to begin with?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Ralph take his shoes off inside his home at RRL?

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

oh christ... and this video

http://www.ralphlauren.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=11757742&ab=global_men_denimsupply

Its like an addiction to irony? Doubly ironic? WhyTF are the "authentic" characters - the bohemian, artist, free-spirit analogs - waiting for the snap of the clapper board?

Its like the design agency is yelling out, this brand is a total f'ing crock of ****. We are going to insult your intelligence and laugh that you don't even notice. We'll make workwear, blue-collar clothes and sell them at exorbitantly inflated prices that actual blue-collar workers can't afford. You'll draw inspiration from their toil! Win!

F me. I hate advertising.

I can't pull this up at the time being, but I can imagine how bad this could be from how obnoxious the D/S brand looks (the logo reminds me of an Ed Hardy version of Americana). Not that I want to compare Denim and Supply to RRL, but I think some of the issues in Denim and Supply are reflected in "expanding" the RRL vision. And these changes seem in-line with the release of the D/S brand. I'm not sure if it's a case of RL vision dry-out (and time to shake things up stylistically) or a poorly hired advertising agency, but I fear that they are starting to try to hard to sell americana, as opposed to let the customer seek out clothing that dresses their own inspired american-style vision. For me, what set the brand apart at RRL was it's subtle take on americana paried with top-notch quality casual basics. If they lose either the quality or the subtley, I think the customers will find new options pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads