1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Has RLBL fallen out of favour with SF?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Wayward, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Wayward

Wayward Senior member

I've noticed recently that on the B&S, RLBL suits no longer move, and even then require some significant price drops. As well, very few people recommend them anymore, and I see instead a rise in PRL items. What happened?

Discuss.

2. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

not sure but I have a couple guesses...

1) price has gotten too high and there's less of a supply in stores
    2) overall look of the line has fallen out of favor due to the strong shoulders of the last couple years.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

RLBL is my favorite off the rack suit. Barely needs any alterations

4. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I still like it. My only complaint is the patterns available. They are a little on the boring side.

5. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

+1 - They fit me like a 'Flesh Tuxedo' OTR - Cuffs and I am good to go.

6. plei89

plei89 Senior member

QFT. And their dress shirts fit really nice. RLPL fits baggy on the arms and body a bit (unless I get the tailored fit) but RLBL fits perfectly.

7. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Economy =[ Most retailers for the last couple years have gone super conservative. staples people always need and will buy, but cooler patterns may go unsold on the racks.

8. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

I find that RLBL shirts aren't that slim compared to some other slim fit brands.

For the suits, they are nice but the shoulders are a bit exagerrated. Also, the price of the suits on these forums has shot up as someone else mentioned compared to what they used to go for.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

sleeves for me because most are tagged Regular instead on Long.

when on sale, i dont hesitate to buy RLBL suits because its doesnt require another $100 for it be wearable

one quip I do have about RLBL, im having difficulty finding a solid colored charcoal or navy suit. everything seems to stripped

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  10. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

NAMOR, you are too lucky. Im 5'6", and any place that sells any OTR jackets my size that aren't vintage ones from my dad and gradfather (Uniqlo, sadly) changes styles too often, and the pants are always cut baggy (im 120 pounds, so 'skinny' is normal, 'slim' is baggy sometimes). Not to mention the quality. I've seen RLBL on sale for under 300 even.

I suppose Theory fits me but it just looks like wrinkles whenever i try one on.

11. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

They lost me with the super-skinny, inadequate little lapels. But then, I think "Mad Men" blows and Tom Ford is my hero.

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

no. the prices increases for RLBL has been astronomical in B&S.

i got all mine at $400 and change and that was on the expensive side.

and, inventories are getting lean and RLBL are getting fairly popular in China, which means RL can dump them in China at twice the retail here.

13. LS7

LS7 Senior member

The last RLBL suit I sold on B&S went in less than 24 hours at my asking price. It's going to depend on whether you're selling a staple suit in a solid colour such as navy or grey, or something less popular, for example single breasted peak lapel.

This

A couple of years ago perhaps? The amazing deals of 2008/2009 aren't available anymore in my experience. RLBL at outlet costs much more than $400 these days, then there's PayPal fees and shipping on top.

14. vida

vida Senior member

NAMOR, I am with you on the fit. For me, hem the trousers and go. I love it.
    Superfluous, RLBL can be made with RLPL fabrics. I was told this by the SA during the made-to-measure event.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:inlove:

16. saint

saint Senior member

Maybe, I've had a 44L RLBL suit in a very subtle charcoal pattern on B&S for a week at a reasonable price, $500, and have had no inquiries yet. Thinking of putting it on Ebay as it may just be too big for the typical SF buyer.

17. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Ralph Lauren Black Label has fallen on the wayside because we all only buy for brand. Anything less than Hermes, Kiton, Attolini etc is pure crap and wont win you the respect you deserve. RLBL = pure trash, and we all know it. Ralph Lauren is not conning us anymore with his second rate offerings.

Whomsoever knows me will deduce from this post I am trolling and kidding around. RLBL appears to have fallen out of favor due to limited degrees of freedom in bargain suit racks or online - i.e. lack of cheap affordable inventory in our usual bargain hunting spots. At retail, most here would prefer to spend $900 on an Isaia suit versus $800+ on a RLBL suit. Nuff zed, but RLBL is still a good brand worthy of investment if you fit it.

1 person likes this.
  18. vida

vida Senior member

RLBL is Caruso. That is plenty in my book.

19. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Conjures up an image that I didn't want to see :foo:

20. stevent

stevent Senior member

Thom Browne / Black Fleece should be perfect

I think there's less since the new update on forum, plenty of sellers appealing to people who were not on the forum before. A bunch of my sales come from people with one or two posts and usually it's for some J. Crew or the like