• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has GQ gone Gay?

johnw86

Reaction score
I haven't read it in a while so I don't know if it's gone "gay" but the magazine started to seriously tank in the mid-90s.
Yeah, GQ was strong mid-80s to early-90s; before that Esquire was a great magazine in the early-mid 80s...damn, I'm getting old.
biggrin.gif

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am totally disappointed with men's 'fashion' magazine.

Not enough fashion, but more of crap that I do not care for. I do not want to look at semi-naked girls on fashion magazine. I can find fully naked girl images on the net for free (duh.). I want an exculsive sartorial magazine that gives me a fresh idea on how guys can be stylish, classy, and modern when wearing suits ..

stache

Reaction score
Me too johnw - lol. To me, GQ has always been closety. The signals are too obvious to ignore.

arvi

Reaction score
the gay issue notwithstanding, GQ's taste in clothing is horrible..i think it has become a magazine that targets the youth audience, straight or gay..unfortunately there are not enough men like those of us in the forum to warrant a magazine..Esquire's smaller fashion editorial content exhibits a higher taste level..so i'll stick with that and some the european magazines.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Lots of talk of European fashion mags--anyone have tips on how to get subscriptions, and which are worth the money? Preferably in English, or easy Italian
confused.gif
Tom

Kaga

Reaction score
Lots of talk of European fashion mags--anyone have tips on how to get subscriptions, and which are worth the money? Â Preferably in English, or easy Italian Â
confused.gif
Tom
Also, how does one subscribe to Monsieur, Edgar, Dandy or Souliers? I've looked online without finding subscription information. IMMSMC, I believe someone (a doctor, I believe) mentioned them in this thread as good alternatives to the dross in American men's magazines. BTW, I don';t think GQ has gone gay quite so much as it's gone sort of metrosexual.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember in the early 90's (or so), when one might encounter an article about shirts by Peter Mayle in the "Elements of Style" section, or an essay on Boulevardiers? Those were the days I guess.
sad.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep my subscription to GQ because it's only about ten bucks for the year. The two hours or so of entertainment I get out of that on the few days after the issue arrives are worth it to me. However, I don't think I've ever really picked up many fashion tips from GQ. I find that this forum is much more knowledgeable than the 'StyleGuy' advice column, and also provides a variety of answers within a very short period of time. Whenever they mention upcoming or more obscure labels, it seems like LA Guy and Labelking, et al, have mentioned these labels months before GQ does. I do enjoy just looking at the pictures, both in ads and in the photo spreads, just to see what the designers are doing. Once in a while I'll say "that's a really cool look", but mostly the outfits are either too unwearable and look ridiculous, or way too trendy. Especially since I live in a less fashion-conscious midwest city, and the typical college attire is an Abercrombie/Express/Banana Republic (for 'high-end'
tounge.gif
) combo involving jeans/shirt or sweater/boring shoes.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy reading Glen O'Brien (The Style Guy), as I find some of his responses witty and entertaining. His sartorial knowledge is okay too. Word on the street is that he hates guys like us though, because aparently whenever he's wrong about something, he gets a thousand angry letters telling him he's wrong.
biggrin.gif

MinneapolisMan

Reaction score
As a gay man, let me give my two cents.  As opposed to what I'm reading from the other posts, I've let my subscriptions to Men's Health, GQ and Details all lapse because they seemed to me to be too anti-gay.  Rather than focusing on fitness or style, all three (Men's Health in particular) seemed to be trying too hard to prove that they were only for straight guys to read.  It became really annoying and so I switched to Cargo.  Cargo has no orientation -- just lots of good info on new gadgets and clothes.
We have a double standard for fashion magazines.  Look at any issue of Vogue and you'll see lots of pics of nearly naked fashion models.  Yet no one argues that it isn't for straight women.

itzamazing

Reaction score
Point well taken MinneapolisMan and I think the constant cries of the magazines targeting a gay demographic a) reflect the insecurities many men have with respect to sexuality and what is *gay* and b) scare the bejesus out of some men that they may read may be intepreted by others as gay by others.

It's really interesting because this forum is a great resource...but to a lot of women, any man that spends this much time and effort into clothing, whether it be Prada or bespoke...would be labeled *gay*. The irony is lost on many though.........

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't find the recent DETAILS post (very frustrating), but...

From Gawker:

'Gay American' to Ambiguously Gay Mag?

We hear former New Jersey governor Jim McGreevey may have lined himself up with a new gig as a columnist for a certain "is he, or isn't he" glossy. No, not Sweet Action, silly. Details.

Details, um, TK. No word on whether or not Golan Cipel will be named "National Security" columnist, as well.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Point well taken MinneapolisMan and I think the constant cries of the magazines targeting a gay demographic a) reflect the insecurities many men have with respect to sexuality and what is *gay* and b) scare the bejesus out of some men that they may read may be intepreted by others as gay by others.

It's really interesting because this forum is a great resource...but to a lot of women, any man that spends this much time and effort into clothing, whether it be Prada or bespoke...would be labeled *gay*. The irony is lost on many though.........
With this statement in mind, I ask one question, and believe me when I say I am about as straight as they come.

Why do straight guys have such an obsession with proving they are straight?

I for instance love "queer Eye", I TiVo the show weekely and look forward to the new shows as they premier, yet any of most male friends I know think I wierd, I just do not get it.

I enjoy learning from experts fashionalbe tips, hey I even ejoy the occassional chick flick, maybe I am wierd, but men need to get in touch with both sides of their inner being.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a double standard for fashion magazines.  Look at any issue of Vogue and you'll see lots of pics of nearly naked fashion models.  Yet no one argues that it isn't for straight women.
It's not a double standard.  Ask anyone in advertising -- ads for a female demographic are different than ads for a male demographic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads