• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has clothing gotten too expensive?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Is it me or are things just very pricey now in the better clothing brands. I was at Neiman and Sak's over the weekend and K fabric Zegna is $1,600+

Incotex trousers, a favorite of mine, are well into the $400-500s. Isn't this clothing outpacing the rate of inflation by a good multiple?

Yet another expensive hobby for those of us who like the good stuff.

stach

Reaction score
Our purchasing power is not so hot any more.
frown.gif

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inflation is on the move, oil costs have driven up transportation and the dollar is weak at the moment. This is impacting the price of our favorite clothing imports. The makers will have to decide if they are so reliant on US customers and lower their prices if they can.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, part of the fun of this hobby is waiting around and hunting for the good deals. Getting EGs for $500, a Corneliani suit for $400, a T&A shirt for $75, stuff like that. If I could just go to Neimans and buy whatever I want at retail this hobby wouldn't be as much fun.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
We can also blame the hot world economy. When the world is doing well, people have more disposible income to burn and companies, being the greedy entities that they are, want higher profits. How else can we explain number five on this list http://magazines.ivillage.com/townan...672613,00.html.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have started to do a "barbell strategy" on clothes and buy as much handmade as possible but save up by buying good values on basics and casualwear.

For instance, I like the Dockers shorts which I can find on sale for $21 locally and I also like the Target T-shirts sometimes as low as $6. Both suprisingly good quality. I also find New Balance tennis shoes at Kohl's for about $40 which I wear on my daily dog walks. Usually I pair all this with a thin polo shirt like Jeff Rose or Bobby Jones. Nike Golf polo shirts hold up well also and are very soft.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably not - we all probably just spend too much

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't remember when the best was ever cheap. Personally, I don't find $300-400 for a good pair of pants or $450 for a bespoke shirt unreasonable. I can't say I'd pay $500 retail for a pair of Incotex pants... I'd maybe pay that for Borrelli since they have so much hand-work. Then again, I did pay $500 for an Armani scarf last winter so there probably aren't too many limits to what i'll spend if I really like something...

Seriously though, find someone local (or in North America) to do some of your clothes. The Samuelsohn MTM program could copy the cut of your Incotex pants almost exactly. I did exactly that and ordered 8 pairs not to long ago and the quality was very good. The things that set my Incotex apart are very small details that not even I can nitpick about too much. The fit is a lot better too. I'd never replace my Borrelli jackets with Samuelsohn, but for pants they do a very satisfactory job.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Quality has always been expense and hard to find.
True, but it seems the rate of price increases has accelerated.

I can't say I'd pay $500 retail for a pair of Incotex pants...
It is a lot. I look for 50+% off at NM Last Calls or try to time my Boston business trips for the Louis Boston sales in freezing January.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I don't think clothes are getting more expensive, but rather expensive clothing companies are getting better at marketing to the masses.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
I don't think clothes are getting more expensive, but rather expensive clothing companies are getting better at marketing to the masses.
ironically from this end, the manufcturing of clothes is getting cheaper - cos they are all either made here or in China....marketing bills getting higher and margins getting wider

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads