1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Has breast cancer become a "celebrity" disease?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Augustus Medici, Sep 3, 2011.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Sorry for your mum..

Mine died years ago from brain tumour and it was very hard to handle emotionally..

Brain tumours, bowel and uterine cancer are obviously more disturbing to the average person in the street than breast cancer..

Brain tumours have terrible recovery rates and people are terrified by them and bowel/uterine are still suffering from the sexual/scatological references they carry...

2. cyprusholidays

cyprusholidays Member

Cancer is not for celebrities alone. My friend's wife having breast cancer and they are having a baby (just 2 months). She is under heavy treatment. There must be some invention to cure cancer.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

+2

I think "the problem" as such is that the Susan G. Komen Foundation is now more interested in selling pink ribbons and other tchotchke and that diverts funds to, you know, actual research and shit. I think it was linked here but there is something like $1b that SGKF sells, er, raises every year for awareness. That's I think the real problem I mean it makes sense why breast cancer gets so much attention. But yeah, there are genuine problems about many large non-profits like SGKF which turn into brand instead of causes.

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

That must be awful..

On top of fighting your own demons when faced with the big C , you also have to deal with the fact you may not be there to help your child growing up..

Bless her..

Al my thoughts are with her.

5. cyprusholidays

cyprusholidays Member

Thank you.