1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone here pulled off dress shoes with shorts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Got a picture or link to someone pulling this off ?
    I think I saw a picture of this somewhere, but can't recall if this was real or a hallucination.

2. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Hallucination. I have seen old Cuban and Italian men do this with panache, but I think the rest of us should run in the other direction.

3. tj100

tj100 Senior member

Got a picture or link to someone pulling this off ? I think I saw a picture of this somewhere, but can't recall if this was real or a hallucination.
    A dress shirt? No. But a brooks brothers OCBD? Sure. Edit: for some reason I read shirt...shoes, not so much.

4. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

I think this question has been answered. It's time to MOOve on.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

6. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

[​IMG]

Loafers aren't dress shoes.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Real, or hallucination?

8. Egert

Egert Senior member

9. acecow

acecow Senior member

Paging Mr. Moo.

10. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

[​IMG]
    Why is this picture so unsettling? Is it the contrast between the massive potato sack calves (and cankle) and the dainty slipper-like loafers? I think he needs some double soled gunboats...

11. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

I have wondered if this works? I had a hard time accepting loafers with shorts, since it does seem a bit like someone accidently grabbed their dress shoes. So I've looked for shoes that are clearly not dress shoes. The picture posted by Spoo is a woven leather loafer (bottom), and the other shoes are sufficiently idiosyncratic to defy classification as a dress shoe (top). The only feedback I've received on these was that one person didn't like the woven pair, and the upper pair would go better with other pants, no clear response on how these work with shorts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

Why is this picture so unsettling?
    Is it the contrast between the massive potato sack calves (and cankle) and the dainty slipper-like loafers?
    I think he needs some double soled gunboats...

Those "potato sack calves" are what what caves are supposed to look like guys, if you've spent 30 years running.

Yes, I do wonder if the loafers look feminine, and once posted a poll once about whether loafers looked feminine, but no one else seemed to think so.

13. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

now if we can only get Hermes Man to chime in this will be a perfect threak

14. SpooPoker

now if we can only get Hermes Man to chime in this will be a perfect threak

+1. Change the title to "Has anyone here pulled off LOUIS VUITTON dress shoes with HERMES shorts?" and you stand a chance of hitting your trifecta.

15. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

16. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

+1. Change the title to "Has anyone here pulled off LOUIS VUITTON dress shoes with HERMES shorts?" and you stand a chance of hitting your trifecta.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

18. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

^(referencing PTW, not Moo) those loafers are actually much better looking on you than the previous options

In general, I think you'd do better by dropping the layered top look. Having the tshirt and open button-up combination calls attention to your midsection in an unflattering way, especially with the black tshirt. Simply wearing a buttoned camp shirt and shorts would look much better on you.

Posing with your hands on your hips doesn't help either...

19. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

^(referencing PTW, not Moo) those loafers are actually much better looking on you than the previous options In general, I think you'd do better by dropping the layered top look. Having the tshirt and open button-up combination calls attention to your midsection in an unflattering way, especially with the black tshirt. Simply wearing a buttoned camp shirt and shorts would look much better on you. Posing with your hands on your hips doesn't help either...
    Thanks, it might look better because more of the foot is covered. Other suggestions very helpful as well.

20. thesecondprize

thesecondprize Senior member