• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has Anyone Here Hired A Style Consultant?

SlamMan

Reaction score
This idea crossed my mind recently after reading through the color and complexion thread. Has anyone here done this? I like shopping for clothes and I'm fairly successful on most outings. I do have a bunch of stuff that I never wear though because I think some of the styles and colors I gravitate to don't always look best on me. I thought it might be useful to have a "professional" give some guidance as to what looks good and more importantly what things to avoid. Ideally even a booklet with swatches and notes to help with shopping.

Waste of money or worth trying?

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
I say just stick to this forum for a while. Style is every bit dependant on each individual. And it really starts from you. Watch the WAYWT threads and post your own for opinions. Better than getting an opinion from 1 consultant.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The same idea crossed my mind.

Here in Stuttgart is a paper/ magazine which is called 'feine Adressen' ( www.finestworldwide.com ). A while ago there was an advertisement of someone who offered this. I gave him a call.

It is 65 Euro (about 85$) an hour. First he wanna talk, then wanna see the wardrobe and then helps shopping. So it will be serveral hours to start.

My experience is, that most of the people are telling stories (they read at internet?!) about color and complexion and they don't know much of it. But they don't have another job and so they do it as profession. Even my shirtmaker (who makes MTM suits, too) don't have a clue about it. He was happy finding the book 'gentlemen' and never heard about the book 'dressing the man' or 'color for men'. He doesn't know SF or AAAC either.

potter AB

Reaction score
A department store in my city offered such advice for free one day on a shopping Sunday and it was fun. The only thing that happens is that you get new inspiration, bespoke so to say.
wink.gif

If you find one that has been in the fashion/style business for some years, yes - then it definitely makes a difference. They will not tell you what you do wrong, just what you could do better.
First of all, a good one will challenge your "inner obstacles", e.g. fixed ideas like "a leather jacket is not for me", "green does not work with me" etc.
Secondly, even if style is dependant on each person, as has been written before, one often sticks to the same kind of clothing to be on the safe side. They will make you look on yourself with other eyes and show you how small changes can do a lot and vary the picture of you.
Thirdly, a good one will tell you how to vary your wardrobe with a mininum effect and some rules of thumbs. Finally, every second opinion will help you in a way. E.g. if one looks at people that wear hats today, quite some of them could have used some advice before buying it, as the hat tends to get all attention. The same often goes for glasses.

Just my 2 cents
smile.gif

rs232

Reaction score
I live with one. He seems to work on styles in volumes proportionate to how people generally dress (ie the suits get less attention than, say, distressed jeans and vintage jackets). However he does dress some clients in the multi thousand-dollar suit range. If you're in the habit of paying this much for suits, then I suppose you can afford to leave taste quality assurance to someone else.

I sure wish Donald Trump would follow that advice and stop trying to turn Brionis into sack suits.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I will do this for $50 an hour - a steal!!!

Anyway style is a very personal thing, and having someone come and pick out clothes for you, however nice they might look, is pretty unauthentic. It's better to take the time to figure out what you like and what fits you, and in the process learn something about sartorial history and what makes an item high quality.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a mensimageconsultant on this board! I can't believe he hasn't weighed in already.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Just post pictures of yourself on this board in your best outfit and ask for the members opinion.

After that you will realize, nothing looks good on you and nothing fits.

There are two style consultants on the board – one even does magic.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone post some of mensimageconsultant's chuckle worthy threads?

Does he have a 14 inch drop and exclusively buy non-iron shirts like arnach for example?

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah it had better not be that guy with the Christmas decorations :)

SlamMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Just post pictures of yourself on this board in your best outfit and ask for the members opinion.

After that you will realize, nothing looks good on you and nothing fits.

There are two style consultants on the board - one even does magic.

LOL, That's what I'm afraid of. Maybe I should hire one so I have someone to blame it on when I post a pic.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood

There are two style consultants on the board - one even does magic.

I wonder if you are referring to me? While I don't believe I have ever offered myself as such, I do think I would make a fine style consultant, and would offer competitive rates to anyone in the greater metropolitan DC area.

robasaurus

Reaction score
I've done work as a style consultant before. I am currently working with one client on and off. The clients I have worked with in the past have been very happy with the results, but I tend to be selective of who I will work with (the client needs to have the right attitude, and desire the right ends, otherwise our collaboration will not be fruitful). My regular job is in a high-end menswear store, so I've also seen a lot of style consultants in action. From what I've seen, most are hacks. Bearing in mind that I live in Canada, and one of the least stylish cities in the country to boot. You may have better luck finding a good style consultant in a more cosmopolitan area, but my experience tells me that you should be careful.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the guy mentions complexion and whips out his color wheel, get your deposit back and run.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
If the guy mentions complexion and whips out his color wheel, get your deposit back and run.

"Let's see, now...for you..."

paintchips.jpg

"...I recommend something in tweed...maybe more than one kind."

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads