• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone here FINISHED getting new clothes and shoes, etc? I am pretty much done I THINK.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very close to the point where I have everything I need, and everything I might want would be redundant given what I have.

It would be a big accomplishment to be "done" buying clothing, shoes, belts, etc, and rerouting that cash to vacations and entertainment will be awesome. Right now the previously overlooked "knitwear" category is all that is getting attention.

Obviously, there are caveats, such as replacing worn out things, but this happens very slowly. And for me, there is also some functional limitation that helps: limited closet and drawer space in an NYC apartment. But even if I had a big walk-in, endless variations of sport-coats (etc) really wouldn't add anything after a certain number. I wouldn't functionally have any more options, since any additional item would be pretty similar to another.

Does anyone here feel like they have "finished," or even may finish? Of course, those that do may have left the forum.

Here's a quick (estimated) description for a sense of scale. I don't think I have tons of stuff, but I think I have every box/variation checked with only this number of items, which is likely very small compared to what a lot of people on here have:
5 sportcoats
1 topcoat
1 cashmere bomber jacket
4 suits (no longer wear suits to work)
25 shirts (1/3 pure business, 1/3 mixed use, 1/3 pure pleasure (linen / patterns etc))
10 pants (2/3 work)
20 ties
5 belts
12 shoes (work)
3 shoes (pleasure)
20 t-shirts
20 polos
15 underwears (identical)
15 undershirts (identical)
3 jeans
2 chinos
3 shorts
3 pocket squares
30 pairs socks (mostly identical, wool)
2 heavy cashmere sweaters
4 light cashmere sweaters / shirts
1 heavy knit cashmere suede front button front jacket thingy
1 cashmere hoodie

Oddly enough, the one thing that I am still on the look-out for is what many on this forum suggest as one of the first to acquire - a navy blazer/sportcoat.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You could probably do with more pocket squares. There's a lot that a choice of colour brings to an outfit.

I would never wear one with a suit for business, I have one white one, and the other two were intentionally chosen to be very versatile. Even outside of business, I would only wear them in certain situations. But anyway, one or two more isn't a major purchase, so not opposed.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks pretty good, it's a hobby of mine so it's not something I will stop, but I don't buy at the pace that I have previously, in fact regularly do not buying anything for months.

I do more trimming then anything, For instance i wear OCBD's all the time so I add to them and regularly remove shirts that I no longer wear (down to about 40). Upgrade in quality when available. Tossed most of my khakis and replaced them with tailored cotton chinos, ect.

deburn

Reaction score
I think many (most?) members on this forum will never be finished getting new clothes and shoes, because

a) when you do get to the end of the list, you go back to the top and start upgrading your stuff, and

b) for a lot of us, me included, it's a hobby :)

Edit: I must have been posting at the same time as SkinnyGoomba

Last edited:

mzmart

Reaction score
I am done with buying clothes but my stomach is not done with me. I also assure those lucky individuals with constant weight that shoe size changes as well..

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is rather a fascinating issue. Is this a forum full of people who appreciate nice clothes? Or is it a forum full of people who appreciate buying nice clothes. Many, many, male hobbies are acquisitory: they revolve around getting new things (albums, cars, stereo systems, girlfriends [ha ha]). Can you take out the acquisition and still enjoy the other parts of this hobby? Can you stop, even if you had what you needed? Would you want to?

I guess another way of putting this is: is the buying of clothes a means to an end, or an end in itself?

My guess is that for most of us the acquisition is pretty important, and so long as we have the money and time, we will keep buying stuff--even if we have a 'finished' wardrobe.

Anyway, it's a nice problem to have--well done.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the staples for the most part, missing just a grey suit, possible an odd jacket. My wardrobe is humble, but I feel satisfied in most respects.

As an enthusiast, I do plan to indulge in good bespoke in the future, probably a pair of suits and odd jackets.

I am however quite obsessed with shoes, and I suspect this will be a life long fancy...

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's an interesting issue Arch Yup, which has popped up before a time or two on here.
I'm a regular, and usually successful, participant in the no purchase clubs, so like you I think I have all the bases covered and them some, with enough variety to mix up new combinations when the mood strikes. Also living in Houston I don't really need winter clothes or seasonal rotation, plus I work from home most days and if I change jobs as I hope to before long, will probably be home even more, which means less reason and opportunity for 'coat and tie' as Vox puts it.

And speaking of Vox, I often wondered if I had his wardrobe, how would I choose from the multiple similar versions of each item he seems to have. I feel myself gravitating away from acquisition and towards what TChouston found, which was a solid core of favourite items.

The one thing I'm craving is a Prince of Wales suit. May end up going bespoke. Outside of that and maybe a couple more grenadines I'm taking myself out of the hunt for the most part. Trying to operate a one in one out policy on my wardrobe, and would love to get rid of a few things too!

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I am pretty much finished for now, but I doubt that will last very long, since this is my "first round." After realizing that I was wearing ill-fitting garbage to work, I have now bought enough shirts, trousers, shoes, and suits to look professional every day. I can't think of anything else I really NEED at this point, but that will probably change once I start posting more and getting feedback. The only thing I still want is some cordovan shoes, and now that you mention it, maybe some knitwear...

I have amassed (approximately):
7 trousers
15 shirts
2 suits
20 ties
3 pairs of dress shoes
3 belts
7 pocket handkerchiefs
25 pairs of socks, all unique (it started with the socks)
2 turtle doves

And a partridge in a pear tree.

This is for office wear only. A very modest collection by SF standards, but I am definitely "over the hump," meaning that I have accomplished all of my current goals.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wardrobe is pretty good and there's nothing I really need to buy but I always will. There's always inspiring fabrics coming out that I see and in any case wear and tear is a factor. Clients do get to a stage where they feel they have enough suits shirts and overcoats etc, but it really depends on how they feel personally, for some it may be 3 suits for others it could be 30. After 5 years you see them again quite often.

TMLaw

Reaction score
The willpower to acquire that wardrobe and then just stop would be quite impressive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics