1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone given up on their plan A in life, and have accepted plan B or C?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zillka, Dec 16, 2009.

1. onlinematt

onlinematt Senior member

I'm on Plan A right now. Except that I don't want Plan A anymore, I want Plan B. But now I can't get Plan B. Where does that leave me?

2. Intelligent Design

Intelligent Design Senior member

I'm on Plan A right now. Except that I don't want Plan A anymore, I want Plan B. But now I can't get Plan B.

Something like this. To change to plan B right now would sacrifice 10 years of my working life.

3. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

You should totally take the entry somm. exam. I think you meet the requirements. You work on a service staff in a resto right now don't you?

Yea, I'm currently a manager. The problem is I don't know any reputable somm. schools. Many of them seem like McSommelier schools.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

According to the Court of Master Sommeliers, you can just do all your own studying on your own by reading books they recommend, then sign up for a two day intensive instructional course in wine, winemaking, wine service, wine tasting, and general alcohol knowledge, and at the end of the course you can take your introductor exam. After that, they offer classes to help you pass the higher-level certifications. I was looking into it b/c it's something I want to do as well. I just don't know if working in a kitchen really would count as the experience they require.

Edit: Just saw this. $495, their introductory course is in NYC at the end of January. http://www.mastersommeliers.org/page...pplication.jsp

5. nickelcobalt

nickelcobalt Senior member

I never really had a plan. I've always wanted to design things, but I'm not terribly good at it. I have these great concepts in my mind and I just can't find the right way to express them. I'm almost out of college with a Communication Studies degree and a minor in Business Communication. I'm thinking of working for a year or two to save up some money and then going to a grad school for business. Not sure if it's worth it. Otherwise, I'd just like to help start up some businesses or get my foot in the fashion industry somehow. I have no idea how realistic any of this is, I'm just going to keep doing what I love and make as many connections as possible and hope I can get my foot in the door somewhere and work it out from there.

6. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I'm turning 20 in 6 days, and I'm on plan B.

Plan A : Pharmacist
    Plan B : CPA
    Plan C : Physical Therapist
    Plan D : Opening a Subway/or other franchise.

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I'm on Plan C. I wish I had learned self-discipline early in life because there was a time when Plan A&B were perfectly attainable. If I ever have kids that is probably the big thing that i'll attempt to pass on to them. Regardless of how smart they are, they're going to learn study habits and self-discipline while they're young, whether they like it or not. It's a hell of a lot easier that way. I guess the important thing is that i've learned from my failures and those of my parents.

8. eztantz

eztantz Senior member

Plan A is winning the lottery - still working full time on plan A.

9. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

No plan. One day at a time. Just follow the Gang Starr model. "I do my thing like the whole planet depends on me."

10. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I'm still on plan A, which is become a doctor. Eventually I would like to do medical administration, or if that plan falls through, and I can make it through to it, orthopedic surgery. If not, anything but OB, GP/PCP, or Psych.

Plan B would be become a doctor, just getting my degree elsewhere. I'm rather original.

Hopefully someday I want to be an amateur chef, and a shoe, fragrance, and clothing aficionado. Cars & Boats too if I'm fortunate. but those are optional side projects for when/if Plan A (or B) is completed.

11. thinman

thinman Senior member

Plan A: astronaut
    Plan B: test pilot
    Plan C: professional chess player
    Plan D: Nobel laureate
    Plan E: professor

I never really had the courage to pursue Plans A or B, since an appointment to a military academy was almost a necessity and I thought it would never happen. I'm currently on plan E, after realizing many years ago that Plans C and D would never happen. At one time, I also had a fantasy about playing pro basketball, but my 1/2" vertical made that unrealistic from the start. At this point in my life, I'm a reasonably accomplished professional and have numerous personal goals that are more important to me than professional ones (although I'd never admit this to my professional colleagues).

I'm also working on my second million now. I completely gave up on my first! [​IMG]

I tell people that I have a similar goal: "Someday I want to be filthy rich...and I'm halfway there already".

12. zillka

zillka Senior member

have numerous personal goals that are more important to me than professional ones (although I'd never admit this to my professional colleagues).

we're all anonymous here, spill.

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

among my old plans, I believe it was plan c or d to be a Salesian priest. I'm glad that didn't happen.

14. username79

username79 Senior member

I'm still on Plan A, but 'A' keeps getting farther and father away.

15. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

I went to law school almost straight out of college. I really wanted to get into the JD/MBA program. Really, really wanted it. Did well enough on the GMAT, too, but had little-to-no "industry work experience."

Applied during my 1L year, got rejected. Applied during my 2L year [this year], got rejected again. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Might give up...

16. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

things i wanted to be when grown up:

1. astronaut
    2. really, really, ridiculously good looking

1 out of 2 aint bad

17. MrG

MrG Senior member

things i wanted to be when grown up:

1. astronaut
    2. really, really, ridiculously good looking

1 out of 2 aint bad

When is your first mission?

I kid, I kid. [​IMG]

18. zillka

zillka Senior member

I'm on Plan C. I wish I had learned self-discipline early in life because there was a time when Plan A&B were perfectly attainable. If I ever have kids that is probably the big thing that i'll attempt to pass on to them. Regardless of how smart they are, they're going to learn study habits and self-discipline while they're young, whether they like it or not. It's a hell of a lot easier that way. I guess the important thing is that i've learned from my failures and those of my parents.
    i hate/love this post, because it's so true. plan A was right there in my hands and i took it for granted..it's hard to be self-disciplined when living in manhattan straight outta college with money not an issue from said great career, and so much pussy, partying, fist pumping, impromptu brunch train sessions, and dining just on my block.. i look back just a couple of years after and damn my priorities were outta wack, my psycho parents were right all along..i tried "fun entrepreneurship jobs" that got me into some great parties and had me c-ked out for a while...were they fun? hell yeh..but are they limiting my current prospects as they stick out like a sore thumb on my resume? fuck shit yeh

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

i hate/love this post, because it's so true. plan A was right there in my hands and i took it for granted..it's hard to be self-disciplined when living in manhattan straight outta college with money not an issue from said great career, and so much pussy, partying, fist pumping, impromptu brunch train sessions, and dining just on my block..

i look back just a couple of years after and damn my priorities were outta wack, my psycho parents were right all along..i tried "fun entrepreneurship jobs" that got me into some great parties and had me c-ked out for a while...were they fun? hell yeh..but are they limiting my current prospects as they stick out like a sore thumb on my resume? fuck shit yeh

Stop putting that you were c-ked out on your resume. Srsly.

20. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

That sucks bro. I'm a 1L that just finished undergrad last May and am thinking about doing the same, but we don't have to take the GMAT. I probably wouldn't even consider it if I had to take the GMAT. I can only assume that you go to a far better school than I. (don't get me wrong, I'm at a Tier 1, but not a T14)
    I went to law school almost straight out of college. I really wanted to get into the JD/MBA program. Really, really wanted it. Did well enough on the GMAT, too, but had little-to-no "industry work experience." Applied during my 1L year, got rejected. Applied during my 2L year [this year], got rejected again. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Might give up...