• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has Anyone Flown Virgin America?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm flying them on Thursday. It seems interesting...little computers to chat with people on the plane, vending machines and mood lighting?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We flew last week roundtrip from SF to NYC. My wife and I felt that we have had more comfortable flights and boarding with Jet Blue. I believe JB seats are a bit bigger or have just a bit more leg room. Not a lot, but enough that we notice a difference on a cross country flight.

The planes are brand new and that is certainly nice. I also liked the mood lighting a lot.

The in flight programing is fine but we liked having more television stations on JB for news and other programing. The VA programing seems to be trying hard to be hip rather than offer the variety that appeals to me on a 5-6 hour flight. By the time we were on our return, I was a bit bored with VA's programing.

BTW, a number of the features of your monitor are not yet active on VA.

It was perhaps the longest boarding process I have had for a plane that size. Plus, the gate at JFK is just a plain, weird afterthought and not comfortable at all.

There were lots of cute indie chicks on the plane. That made for nice scenery. +1 for VA.

I suppose some of this might get better and I hope it does for VA. At the same time we would pay a few bucks more and fly JB in the near future.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I flew them a few months ago just to try them out on Dulles-SFO. I flew United back but the flight out west was comfortable, the mood lighting was interesting but as pocketsquareguy said, a lot of the inflight entertainment features were not yet operational. I didn't do much else than listen to my iPod and read though.

Overall a good experience but I can't see them growing any more than as they are now.

JB

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a pretty pleasant experience for the price riding between LA and SF. A little less room than JetBlue, but otherwise largely comparable.

Plus you can spot me in one of the BoingBoing TV episodes in the entertainment system, so that's cool
wink.gif

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, so its a selection of original content. i'll probably just bring my laptop and plug it in...i guess they have AC outlets at every seat.

how's the food on the plane?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fly them regularly to London . They are my fav European dest. ariline.
Services food and INflight entertainment will wary between trans Atlantic and domestic flights.
Food from Bsoton is almost always horrible. Food from London is always top notch (I recommend Indian) ,good red wine selection. Friendly staff.
Entertainment includes movies sports music and video games. All personalized, starts when you want unlike on Swiss air.
Last time I counted ,there were 23 new movie releases on my in-flight system, not bad at all.
I love Virgin.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like them for JFK / IAD - SFO. I think they are better than Jet Blue.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Interesting...I did not know Conne had an airline.
rimshot.gif

Jenaimarr

Reaction score
Just flew VA between SFO-LAX last week.

It was easily the most pleasureable domestic flight I've ever had (I've never flown jet blue though).

I just played DOOM for the entire length of the 1hr flight.

Dirt cheap fare too: $99 round trip. For the same price of southwest, I much prefer VA everytime.

While everything looked nice and new with their apple'ish looking silver and white colour scheme, I fear within a year the seatbacks and seattrays will be looking pretty tore-up.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jenaimarr
JI fear within a year the seatbacks and seattrays will be looking pretty tore-up.

+1, that was my exact thought when I first sat down and saw shiny white plastic framed seats. They will show every scuff and scratch.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I fly them regularly to London . They are my fav European dest. ariline.
Services food and INflight entertainment will wary between trans Atlantic and domestic flights.
Food from Bsoton is almost always horrible. Food from London is always top notch (I recommend Indian) ,good red wine selection. Friendly staff.
Entertainment includes movies sports music and video games. All personalized, starts when you want unlike on Swiss air.
Last time I counted ,there were 23 new movie releases on my in-flight system, not bad at all.
I love Virgin.

Keep in mind this is Virgin Atlantic, not Virgin America. Virgin America doesn't leave the USA, but the service seems to be fairly similar IMO. I've only flown Atlantic twice Dulles-Heathrow and had no problems.

JB

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
flew it, VERY highly recommended. The stewardesses, aside from being very young and attractive were exceedingly friendly. the check in process was great, and the features and amenties were top notch!

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not flown Virgin America but I did ride one of the stewardesses. They take care of you while on board but once you get off, you're on your own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads