• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone ever had jeans recut?

boo

Reaction score
I have some Studio D'Artisan 101s, tagged size 34, with a waistband that measures a little over 36". Unfortunately, I now require a 32" waistband. I'd try and resell them, but unfortunately, they've been hemmed to a 29" inseam and soaked multiple times, which I think will make that difficult.

I'm thinking of bring the jeans to a tailor to have them recut to my size, maybe even slim them down to an SD103 type cut. I was wondering if anyone's done that and if they were happy with the results.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This topic comes up so often and I have never heard of a pair of great jeans being altered well. I have problems with my tailors when they even do my hems, I certainly wouldn't trust them to take in the waist.

It can be done, and tailors do it all the time, but I don't think it would be worth it. I would sell regardless of the loss and buy another pair.

Say

Reaction score
i did it with two pairs, didn't feel like spending another couple hundred for new jeans if the problem could be fixed with some surgery. my tailor did an awsome job; well worth it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Chris Despos did some surgery on some flarez for Soph - he might have some insight. I'll ping him to this thread.

How worn are they? If they are significantly faded in the old size, when they are cut down, the fading is going to shift weirdly and it may not be possible to get them to look good. It would be much more doable to alter a relatively new/dark pair of jeans.

lowrey

Reaction score
I agree with what J said, consider how they'll look after the alteration. apart from that, I suggest you ask a tailor about it.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The work I did for Soph was not as intricate as recutting. To reduce 4 inches from the back part alone is too much. The fronts would need to be recut. I don't see how a tailor could duplicate the stitching and seams of jeans. They may fit better after recutting but I am not sure if they would or could have the same finish.

I would put the money towards a new pair.

capnpyro

Reaction score
4" worth? Wouldn't the back pockets be touching at that point?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by capnpyro

Connect them together; a unipocket of sorts
biggrin.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by capnpyro

ah yes, the much-sought-after "scalloped back pockets" look. So hot right now.

boo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. It turns out my measurement was incorrect and the waistband only measures 34" (I mistook them for a pair of nudies that measure 36"+), though they might still be subject to stretching since they're fresh from a hot soak and about 15 minutes in the dryer. The problem is that even if I just have the waist and seat taken in, the thighs and leg are extremely full. They have very little wear, so that won't be an issue. Also, I can deal with non-original stitching, and even losing the selvedge. The only reason I'm trying to cling on to them is that I love the shade of the indigo. But after thinking about it, I think I'll just try and sell them and see what I can get.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sell these off.
buy new ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads