• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone ever gotten a dead Xbox360 replaced?

djs488

Reaction score
My friend bought me a pair of wayfarers for my birthday, so I was trying to figure out what to do for his birthday. He has a RROD Xbox 360 in his apartment that he has been to lazy to get fixed (which is free from microsoft?) and I was thinking I could send it in for him, since he is away for the summer and I have access to it. Has anyone done this before? If the xbox isn't mine, can I still send it in to be fixed? That is, do I need like a receipt or something with it? Thanks.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
It's free - I've had 2 already. You don't pay a cent and get a 3-year guarantee.

You could be a dick and get him a PS3
smile.gif

shimmyt

Reaction score
You should be able to replace it no problem. Call it in, they send you a white box, the FedEx or UPS man laughs at you because he see's a ton of these every day, you wait about 2 weeks then it comes back, and your friend thinks you're the shiznit because you got his xbox fixed.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shimmyt
You should be able to replace it no problem. Call it in, they send you a white box, the FedEx or UPS man laughs at you because he see's a ton of these every day, you wait about 2 weeks then it comes back, and your friend thinks you're the shiznit because you got his xbox fixed.

LOL, when I brought mine in to the UPS last week for the SECOND time in a month, the guy goes - "Back so soon?" A

Augusto86

Reaction score
1800-4MY-XBOX.

You could do it right now, they're open like 9-10 7 days. They'll tell you to fiddle around with it, and make sure you keep saying all you get is RROD, because otherwise they might not take it. Also, you need the serial # off the back. But seriously, it's really easy.

On the one hand, I was super-pissed at M$ for having such ****** build quality; on the other, the tech-support system they built to deal with it is the best I've dealt with, ever.

I was also kind of asking for something to melt when I played GTA4 for like 6 hours on a 100 degree day. When I got my RROD the thing seriously smelled like burnt plastic up close.

djs488

Reaction score
Alright, perfect, thanks for your help guys. He is, in fact, a lazy ass. It doesn't help that about a month after it broke he just bought a Wii. Basically I looking for a cheap, useful gift, and I think this fits the bill.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes twice.
Each time it took about 2-3 weeks.
The first time however they forgot to include the return label so I had to speak to an idiot
in outsourced support who hadn't a clue what to do. He wanted me to wait for a call back
from a supervisor so I had him cancel the first ticket and open a new one and send me
another shiping box.

I bitched to my wife about it since she works for MSFT but that just started a rant from
her about having to deal with the same idiots for internal support.

There's an online form you can fill out.
All you really need is the S/N.

Odd Morsel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
1800-4MY-XBOX.

You could do it right now, they're open like 9-10 7 days. They'll tell you to fiddle around with it, and make sure you keep saying all you get is RROD, because otherwise they might not take it. Also, you need the serial # off the back. But seriously, it's really easy.

What he said.

It's an extremely painless process. Takes 10-15 minutes over the phone. They'll send out a box and label, and all you do is hold onto your hard drive. The wait time for a replacement is very short these days. When it first started occurring (and whenever a big release like Halo 3 was happening), the wait time was much longer. Luckily, my Elite only red-ringed once. I've had friends and co-workers that have red-ringed 3-4 times apiece.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
I don't know what consumer rights you have where you live but I took mine back to where I bought it and got it swapped over immediately.

somecallmebj

Reaction score
Just a friendly tip I didn't know when exchanging my broken 360. There are different types of errors (different light combinations, error code on screen, etc.) and only the 3 quadrant RROD is covered by Microsoft's extended warranty they offered a while back.

My error, which was E76 with one flashing red light in the bottom-right quadrant, unfortunately was not covered by their extended warranty, and luckily I had caught it 2 days before my standard warranty expired.

After about 10 minutes on the phone, they dispatched a pre-paid box for my 360. It was funny when I brought it into the UPS Store, the guy at the counter knew exactly what it was when I walked in, and said they get about 3-5 PER DAY. Jeez.

Total time from sending it off to receiving it back repaired was about 2 weeks. Pretty painless. I think they gave me a 90-day extended warranty on it.

Odd Morsel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
I don't know what consumer rights you have where you live but I took mine back to where I bought it and got it swapped over immediately.

Obviously, that's the solution you offer to someone who has a newly red-ringed system, but if you're beyond the store's limited warranty (90 days in many cases), then this isn't an option. And if you are concerned with keeping the data on your hard drive, then this also won't work. In his friend's case, it sounds getting MS on the horn is his only option.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Odd Morsel
Obviously, that's the solution you offer to someone who has a newly red-ringed system, but if you're beyond the store's limited warranty (90 days in many cases), then this isn't an option. And if you are concerned with keeping the data on your hard drive, then this also won't work. In his friend's case, it sounds getting MS on the horn is his only option.

Well as I said don't know consumer rights where others live. Where I live it's a year's guarantee with the store on all electrical goods. Where I worked and many other places we swapped just the machine over without the hard drive (we needed to send original product including wires and box to MS anyway, most customers wouldn't have this on them). To be honest a kind tone would get an out of warranty machine replaced too.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
1800-4MY-XBOX.

On the one hand, I was super-pissed at M$ for having such ****** build quality; on the other, the tech-support system they built to deal with it is the best I've dealt with, ever.

I was also kind of asking for something to melt when I played GTA4 for like 6 hours on a 100 degree day. When I got my RROD the thing seriously smelled like burnt plastic up close.

+ 100,

I was initially upet about their build quality, but their customer service has been nothing but good IMO._

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads