• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

has anyone ever eaten brains?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've heard they taste like sweetbreads but are a bit more delicate. I was considering putting my inhibition aside and giving it a try once my good pans arrive. There's a recipe for them in my new cookbook.

It's probably good practice for searing foie gras as well since it's considerably cheaper. Plus, it looked kind of appetizing in hannibal :p

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I've heard they taste like sweetbreads but are a bit more delicate. I was considering putting my inhibition aside and giving it a try once my good pans arrive. There's a recipe for them in my new cookbook.

It's probably good practice for searing foie gras as well since it's considerably cheaper. Plus, it looked kind of appetizing in hannibal :p

You calling me a zombie? Them's fightin' words.
Never tried 'em, but looking forward to your report . . .

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
You calling me a zombie? Them's fightin' words.
Never tried 'em, but looking forward to your report . . .

I'll take pictures :p

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a long time ago my grandmother made cow brain soup. don't remember too much about it except the thought of it being really gross and the brain itself being really soft.

-Jeff

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Yes, I have eaten brains -- crab brains. They are a kind of paste that is very pungent. They are called kani miso in Japanese, and are a sort of minor delicacy. Shrimp brains are quite similar. They taste about like you'd expect the brains of ocean-going bugs to taste.

But I don't think these are the kind of brains you meant.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
43-0719.jpg

Oh, I forgot! I promised to post my grandfather's recipe for lamb brains. See photo. I'll get the recipe, and post it . . . considered a delicacy in many parts of the world. I used to watch Grandfather prepare his brains. But, I never ate any. Just couldn't. Does anyone remember the Andy Griffith episode, during which Andy and Barney go to Mt. Pilot, to a fancy eatin' place, that serves French food? Andy couldn't read the menu. He asked for roast beef, potato, and green beans. Barney pointed, to his choices: snails and brains.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Have had brains in black butter at a San Francisco restaurant years ago and my memory is that - as you suggest - the texture is comparable to sweetbreads but a bit more delicate. My father was a big "brains and scrambled eggs" guy when I was young. And an Indo-Pakistani resaurant here in north Atlanta apparently is finding a "brains masala" dish to be popular (though I haven't been over to check it out.)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
But I don't think these are the kind of brains you meant.

Ya, I meant calf brains. :p

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
43-0719.jpg

Oh, I forgot! I promised to post my grandfather's recipe for lamb brains. See photo. I'll get the recipe, and post it . . . considered a delicacy in many parts of the world. I used to watch Grandfather prepare his brains. But, I never ate any. Just couldn't. Does anyone remember the Andy Griffith episode, during which Andy and Barney go to Mt. Pilot, to a fancy eatin' place, that serves French food? Andy couldn't read the menu. He asked for roast beef, potato, and green beans. Barney pointed, to his choices: snails and brains.

How were those cooked? They don't look seared...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PITAronin
My father was a big "brains and scrambled eggs" guy when I was young. And an Indo-Pakistani resaurant here in north Atlanta apparently is finding a "brains masala" dish to be popular (though I haven't been over to check it out.)

Those are some combos I wouldn't have thought of... I can't imagine how you'd do them in a curry, I would have thought that they'd turn to mush.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQgeek . . . as I recall, Grandfather liked his brains, braised. I'll look for the recipe.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to eat lamb brains when i was younger .. my dad really liked them - as far as i know, it is a fairly popular dish in lebanon. Haven't had them in a few years. My mum used to fry them with garlic, then squeeze lemon juice over them. We'd eat them with lebanese bread.... i remember a soft texture, like a slightly firm paste.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Plenty of fish, crab and shrimp brains. Mammal brains? Not yet.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch out for the mad cow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads