Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

has anyone ever eaten brains?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by GQgeek, Sep 11, 2006.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I've heard they taste like sweetbreads but are a bit more delicate. I was considering putting my inhibition aside and giving it a try once my good pans arrive. There's a recipe for them in my new cookbook.

It's probably good practice for searing foie gras as well since it's considerably cheaper. Plus, it looked kind of appetizing in hannibal :p

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I've heard they taste like sweetbreads but are a bit more delicate. I was considering putting my inhibition aside and giving it a try once my good pans arrive. There's a recipe for them in my new cookbook.

It's probably good practice for searing foie gras as well since it's considerably cheaper. Plus, it looked kind of appetizing in hannibal :p

You calling me a zombie? Them's fightin' words.
    Never tried 'em, but looking forward to your report . . .

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

You calling me a zombie? Them's fightin' words.
    Never tried 'em, but looking forward to your report . . .

I'll take pictures :p

4. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

a long time ago my grandmother made cow brain soup. don't remember too much about it except the thought of it being really gross and the brain itself being really soft.

-Jeff

5. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Yes, I have eaten brains -- crab brains. They are a kind of paste that is very pungent. They are called kani miso in Japanese, and are a sort of minor delicacy. Shrimp brains are quite similar. They taste about like you'd expect the brains of ocean-going bugs to taste.

But I don't think these are the kind of brains you meant.

6. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

[​IMG]

Oh, I forgot! I promised to post my grandfather's recipe for lamb brains. See photo. I'll get the recipe, and post it . . . considered a delicacy in many parts of the world. I used to watch Grandfather prepare his brains. But, I never ate any. Just couldn't. Does anyone remember the Andy Griffith episode, during which Andy and Barney go to Mt. Pilot, to a fancy eatin' place, that serves French food? Andy couldn't read the menu. He asked for roast beef, potato, and green beans. Barney pointed, to his choices: snails and brains.

7. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior member

Have had brains in black butter at a San Francisco restaurant years ago and my memory is that - as you suggest - the texture is comparable to sweetbreads but a bit more delicate. My father was a big "brains and scrambled eggs" guy when I was young. And an Indo-Pakistani resaurant here in north Atlanta apparently is finding a "brains masala" dish to be popular (though I haven't been over to check it out.)

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

But I don't think these are the kind of brains you meant.

Ya, I meant calf brains. :p

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

[​IMG]

Oh, I forgot! I promised to post my grandfather's recipe for lamb brains. See photo. I'll get the recipe, and post it . . . considered a delicacy in many parts of the world. I used to watch Grandfather prepare his brains. But, I never ate any. Just couldn't. Does anyone remember the Andy Griffith episode, during which Andy and Barney go to Mt. Pilot, to a fancy eatin' place, that serves French food? Andy couldn't read the menu. He asked for roast beef, potato, and green beans. Barney pointed, to his choices: snails and brains.

How were those cooked? They don't look seared...

10. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

My father was a big "brains and scrambled eggs" guy when I was young. And an Indo-Pakistani resaurant here in north Atlanta apparently is finding a "brains masala" dish to be popular (though I haven't been over to check it out.)

Those are some combos I wouldn't have thought of... I can't imagine how you'd do them in a curry, I would have thought that they'd turn to mush.

11. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

GQgeek . . . as I recall, Grandfather liked his brains, braised. I'll look for the recipe.

12. Homme

Homme Senior member

I used to eat lamb brains when i was younger .. my dad really liked them - as far as i know, it is a fairly popular dish in lebanon. Haven't had them in a few years. My mum used to fry them with garlic, then squeeze lemon juice over them. We'd eat them with lebanese bread.... i remember a soft texture, like a slightly firm paste.

13. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Plenty of fish, crab and shrimp brains. Mammal brains? Not yet.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have had pig brains.

15. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Watch out for the mad cow.