• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

has anyone driven a Beck 550 Spyder replica?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone was driven, or been around, a Beck 550 Spyder or Beck knobbly Lister replica?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2943469900_8b4121c0a6.jpg

0603kc_13_z+lister+.jpg

CodeRed

Reaction score
That lister is sick..what drive train do they use? Cost?

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The spyder is $14K (put in your own engine) or $22k (turn key), according to a motortrend article that is online. If I move out of NYC... I might just have to get one of those.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really interested in seeing if any members have ever driven/owned a Beck spyder. I've looked at them for several years but have never met or talked to an owner so I don't have any idea about their quality.

turboman808

Reaction score
I got introduced to the LC470 Lister very recently. That is one badass car. I added it to my must have list. I have driven the beck 550. It's nice but I prefer the 550 made by thunder ranch. Next year I want to pull the trigger on a car that is just completely off the wall and only for fun. But I am poor so really want to keep it under 100 grand. 550 and the Lister are at the top of the list right now. If you want a base model 550 you can get plenty for 20-30 grand. Custom cars with all the bells and whistles and the price jumps real fast. The thunder ranch 550 with the 911 rs motor and 915 gearbox and the race suspension and brakes will set you back around 75k. http://www.thunderranch.com/550.html The lister LC470 will set you back around 85k-not a beck but same moldings I understand. I am not familiar with the beck lister http://www.lc470.com/price.htm My other car I am interested in buying is a d-type replica. Problem is this will take a few years to build and may untimately not be legal in the US.
frown.gif
Finally if this year goes really really well I would like to get a GT40 with a rousch 427. That thing will set you back about 130 grand. Doubt I will do so well in the next 11 months. Driving the 550 by beck is alot of fun. It's kinda hard to say it's gonna drive a certain way. I have yet to see 2 of them built the same way. Some have great suspension setups and others are just lookers with buggy engine, suspensions and transmissiions. The one I drove was pretty nice but with only 125 hp type 4 and made for cruising. It will get you going in a 550 since they weigh under 1300 lbs. The swing axle is not a very good design, you can make it work but better to step up to something more like the later rsk suspension. Most 550 builders have that as an option. The transmissions can be anywhere from bad to worse. Unless you are willling to accept that old cars just don't shift as well as new ones you would probably be disapointed. Also no power steering or power brakes. If you just want a cruiser then look every few weeks on ebay for a type 4 550. If you have an exact image in your head of the perfect 550 then I would talk with the guys at thunder ranch first. I'll stop now I can ramble on about old cars for far to long.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could get a 904 replica
biggrin.gif

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
Also no power steering or power brakes.
In a 1300 lb car with 165/55R-14 tires, that's probably forgivable.
smile.gif

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
In a 1300 lb car with 165/55R-14 tires, that's probably forgivable.
smile.gif

Well the absence of power brakes will take a new driver by surprise.
eek.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads