Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Has anyone been on an african safari?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GQgeek, Jan 13, 2008.

1. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Wow. How much money did he start with I wonder? I was thinking a couple months of travelling, not 4 years. :p

I don't know. It's all in his log. I spent years on the road and I'm just saying enjoy and prepare yourself for a longer stay.

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

My mother is heading there in a few weeks for the migration of the wildebeast.

You would have to put me in a clear plastic bubble to get me to go to Africa, even on the most luxurious safari.

Just don't have sex with the locals.

Jon.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

My mother is heading there in a few weeks for the migration of the wildebeast.

You would have to put me in a clear plastic bubble to get me to go to Africa, even on the most luxurious safari.

Does it suck that your mother has bigger balls than you? [​IMG]

Seriously though, what are you afraid of?

4. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Just don't have sex with the locals.

Jon.

I knew a woman who nicked her leg in Africa and it resulted in an infection that blew up her leg three times its normal size.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

If you go to Tanzania (which I highly recommend), I'd suggest to stay away from the most visited areas in the North and go for the similarly fantastic but far less touristy areas of the South (Selous is beautiful for a lush landscape, Ruaha fantastic for a more arrid environment). These are places where you will be able to spend days of safaris drives without ever seeing another rover or other tourists.

The crater has an amazing concentration of wildlife but is a bit of a zoo, with rovers roaming around and follwing each other... feels more like Disneyland at times than a wilderness experience IMO

Thanks, I'll look in to those places.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I knew a woman who nicked her leg in Africa and it resulted in an infection that blew up her leg three times its normal size.

That's horrible. Which leads to tip number 2: wear pants.

Jon.

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

That's horrible. Which leads to tip number 2: wear pants.

Jon.

I don't recall the medicine she used to resolve it. It wasn't anything special or expensive, but without it she would have been a goner.

8. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Visit a travel doctor before leaving and bring a well-stocked medical kit.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks, I'll look in to those places.
    There are so many safari companies that you could spend months trying to research options.

I recommend Tanzania Odyssey very highly. They are great and have the best knowledge of Tanzania and all the lodges. Give them dates and a budget and they're arrange everything for you, including domestic air travel, etc... They take their commission from the lodges so you'll get the same rates as advertised by the lodges.

We used them for our honeymoon and recommended them to a couple of friends and everyone was very happy.

In Selous, if you can afford it, I'd recommend Beho-Beho. It's a fantastic place and the people there are just awesome

10. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Highly recommend Tanzania - very beautiful.

iammatt - why are you so afraid of Africa?

11. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

The crater has an amazing concentration of wildlife but is a bit of a zoo, with rovers roaming around and follwing each other... feels more like Disneyland at times than a wilderness experience IMO

That's really too bad.
    I was there almost 20 years ago.
    Back then it was a beautiful experience in every possible way.

I defer to those with more recent experience with Tanzania. . .

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That's really too bad.
    I was there almost 20 years ago.
    Back then it was a beautiful experience in every possible way.

I defer to those with more recent experience with Tanzania. . .

It's still beautiful but it can get really crowded, which for some people (e.g. me) can detract from the overall experience

http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com...ari-day-5.html

13. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

It's still beautiful but it can get really crowded, which for some people (e.g. me) can detract from the overall experience

More than understandable.

14. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I spent three and half weeks in South Africa (+ Swaziland & Zimbambwe) in 2001 and South Africa is very easy to travel in independently if that matters to you. The infrastructure is far more developed and it's safer imo than other African countries that may be more off-the-beaten-path.

Do a couple of nights in an expensive game lodge with guide... and the rest in self-drive in Kruger Park. While it can get a bit crowded, there are plenty of Lions and Rhinos to go around for everyone. I would rather trade-off a few more people for the comforts and convenience of travelling independently in South Africa, which is a beautiful place. Cape Town is a stunning city too. Best time to travel is Oct-Nov or March-April.

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

There are so many safari companies that you could spend months trying to research options.

I recommend Tanzania Odyssey very highly. They are great and have the best knowledge of Tanzania and all the lodges. Give them dates and a budget and they're arrange everything for you, including domestic air travel, etc... They take their commission from the lodges so you'll get the same rates as advertised by the lodges.

We used them for our honeymoon and recommended them to a couple of friends and everyone was very happy.

In Selous, if you can afford it, I'd recommend Beho-Beho. It's a fantastic place and the people there are just awesome

Thanks. I had done a quick search on google and there were too many choices for safari companies. I might just use tanzania odyssey on your recommendation, but I don't think i'll be staying at the Beho beho lodge for $975 per person per night though. I need to stay in the $500-600 region to get my two weeks out of my budget. It's a good thing that there are lots of options for lodges. If reading this correctly TO just sets everything up and the game expeditions are handled by the lodge, correct?