• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anybody ever taken the GRE/LSAT/GMAT as a standby?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I missed the deadline for the physics GRE. Does anybody know what my chances of getting to take the test as a standby are?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the GRE, but I was under the impression the GMAT could be scheduled with almost no advance notice. I think when I took it I scheduled it for the week after, no more than ten days in any case, and I took one of the first CAT versions (in 99)

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
.. and I took one of the first CAT versions (in 99)

I wrote the last paper and pencil GMAT in June 1997. Aced it - woohoo!

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't standby for the LSAT. You need to register a few weeks ahead. And you get a thumbprint taken and many other fine things.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the GRE, but I was under the impression the GMAT could be scheduled with almost no advance notice. I think when I took it I scheduled it for the week after, no more than ten days in any case, and I took one of the first CAT versions (in 99)

This is true for the general GRE, but apparently not for the subject. Probably because the subject is still a paper test.

It's not devastating if I don't get to take it since I want to go to graduate school for applied physics. That means I'll be applying to colleges of engineering (which typically don't require the subject), not colleges of science, but still, I'm pretty upset that such a stupid mistake on my part could limit my grad school options at all.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
This is true for the general GRE, but apparently not for the subject. Probably because the subject is still a paper test.

It's not devastating if I don't get to take it since I want to go to graduate school for applied physics. That means I'll be applying to colleges of engineering (which typically don't require the subject), not colleges of science, but still, I'm pretty upset that such a stupid mistake on my part could limit my grad school options at all.

Hmm...I was under the impression that all graduate programs in Science and Engineering require the GRE. I was planning to take it and try for a Ph.D. program in Economics, but the greedy lawyer in me prevailed. Though I'm still thinking about getting it later if I like doing antitrust work.

For the LSAT, even the late registration requires about 3 weeks' time.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Hmm...I was under the impression that all graduate programs in Science and Engineering require the GRE. I was planning to take it and try for a Ph.D. program in Economics, but the greedy lawyer in me prevailed. Though I'm still thinking about getting it later if I like doing antitrust work.

For the LSAT, even the late registration requires about 3 weeks' time.

Nah, I haven't come across an applied program yet that requires the subject GRE, and that includes prestigious schools such as Harvard, Yale and MIT. Discounting the subject GRE in admissions is, I think, a more progressive stance, since the test has proven to be no real indicator of graduate school success. The general GRE, on the other hand, is almost always required, though it may be chiefly for purposes of assigning fellowships and not for admissions.

Interestingly, my research advisor at the Air Force Inst. of Technology tells me that in his experience, the most reliable indicator of success in applied physics is your score on the verbal section of the general GRE.

Tibo

Reaction score
(...) I was under the impression the GMAT could be scheduled with almost no advance notice. I think when I took it I scheduled it for the week after, no more than ten days in any case, and I took one of the first CAT versions (in 99) (...)

I took the GMAT in September '06 and had to register two months in advance (but it was in Belgium).

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I wrote the last paper and pencil GMAT in June 1997. Aced it - woohoo!

aced it?? 800??

K

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
I took the GMAT in September '06 and had to register two months in advance (but it was in Belgium).

Yeah, mine was the same in Amsterdam. the test center only had one GMAT PC. Since the test was 4 hours and they were only open for 6 hours per day, it meant one test per day

With one center in Amsterdam, you had to book well ahead

K

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I took the GMAT this summer and only registered one week before I took it.

With the on-demand system they have now, you could take it the next day if they have an opening at a site near you.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not about the GMAT, guys, it's about the GRE. I assumed that since the tests are administered by the same company, they might have similar rules for all tests. I think that's true, but there's a difference between their computer and paper tests. The physics GRE is paper only.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
This is not about the GMAT, guys, it's about the GRE. I assumed that since the tests are administered by the same company, they might have similar rules for all tests. I think that's true, but there's a difference between their computer and paper tests. The physics GRE is paper only.

Your post title was slightly misleading I guess...
teacha.gif

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
aced it?? 800??

K

780. Verbal part was flawless. One or two errors in the quant section.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
780. Verbal part was flawless. One or two errors in the quant section.
Nice score. I was already quite proud of my 730
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
(verbal is just a nightmare for non-native speakers)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads