• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anybody ever run a Charity Benefit/Tribute affair?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the last few years some of my friends have started to die, It's called a part of life. Some were kind of prominent and most of them you would have never heard of. When a friend died in a tragic car wreck last October it really got my attention. I vowed to do some things I've always meant to but never got around to doing. Some of you know that I've been in a 12 step program for many years ( and now you all know
laugh.gif
) I have a friend there that is in his late 80s. He and his wife were extraordinarily active in 12th step work for many, many, many years and helped 1000s if not 10s of 1000s of people. She died last year after a 64 year marriage!!!!!! Needless to say it effected him deeply. I thought of a tribute to him and her. It's still in a nascent stage, but I've been offered help from many people from famous Rock and Rollers and very rich people down to homeless people that sobered up and turned their lives around. I'm sure I'll get it done but I'm new to doing something like this. I was wondering if anyone has ever done something like this and has some advice. Please refrain from humor and asking any names ( teger will have the rights when he writes his book! ). I suppose we'll put it up on Youtube when the event happens. But does anyone have any insightful input?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
R,

Speak with your local Rotary chapter or Chamber of commerce. Those guys do these sort of events all the time and are capable of hosting an excellent event.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
R,

Speak with your local Rotary chapter or Chamber of commerce. Those guys do these sort of events all the time and are capable of hosting an excellent event.

Thanks, that's a great idea, but I've already got the venue. And today someone suggested an auction or blind auction ( many people will donate valuable stuff ).

Finally, an entertainer has offered to do a show as the night's entertainment. So, hopefully it will go well. I don't want it to get out of hand and be too big. But the spirit of AA is a group effort and not to control. I'm aiming for this summer and an event for 400-500 people. I'm sure someone will videotape it and hopefully we'll get it up on Youtube.

The guy ( and his wife that died ) has literally helped 1000s of people and is really deserving of something like this.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
400-500 people is alot of people. I've put something for 50 people together for a tribute and that was hard. Had it in a restaurant and it went smoothly. Had just a few speakers and then we let anyone that wanted to speak speak. It was touching. Good luck.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My aunts have had memorials done for them.

Basically, the word went out as far as possible and everyone who came listened to a few chosen speakers in a nice room. (Prep school dining room, private club). For one of them, who had musical interests, there was a chamber group and a solo pianist tapped from a few organizations she supported. I think there was a printed program for each ceremony, accompanied by a short bio and maybe a photo from long ago. Lunch or hors d'oeuvres followed, with an open bar for the one who hadn't drunk herself to death.

I suppose if there had been a lot of entertainers who owed either of them everything, we could have justified a night-long deal. But in the end, WASPiness prevailed.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
can't contribute anything of siginificance, rnoldh, but I must commend you for this benefit you're planning and do keep us updated. hats off to you, sir!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rnoldh, that's a great thing you're planning. i think, we all can benefit from the ideas and the spirit, which will be generated through this.

keep it going.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks to all.

It's 99.9% certain the event will be held here:

HoustonAACouncil002-1.jpg

It has an auditorium that holds 400-500 people and should be perfect. It's also very fitting.

As many of you know, drugs and alcohol have been devastating to many in the music community ( as well as just about all others too, of course ).

Some famous musicians have offered their support but I didn't think it should get out of hand. We want to fill up this auditorium and not stadiums. It's going to be a while but it should be fun.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
very cool of you. sorry I can't help, but my synagogue is doing an event for our rabbi who is retiring this weekend. there are people involved who have done a great job. if you have specific quesitons I'd be happy to try to put you in touch with them. let me know

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads