Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Harvie & Hudson & John Lester in NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brass4321, Mar 22, 2006.

1. brass4321

brass4321 Active Member

FYI:

Harvie & Hudson

New York:
    Wednesday 22nd to Saturday 25th March 9.00am - 6.00pm
    Special late night Thursday 9.00am - 8.00pm
    Intercontinental The Barclay
    111 East 48th St., New York, NY 10017-1297 Tel: 212 755 5900
    In attendance: Richard Harvie, Andrew Hudson and Matthew Beadle (shirts and accessories) with John Lester (Savile Row tailor)

2. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Is anyone else planning on stopping by either H&H or Charvet on Saturday?

3. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Charvet comes to NY?

4. Cantabrigian

Charvet comes to NY?

I don't know with what frequency they come but Colban will be at Bergdorf today and Saturday.

That said, I am really not considering buying anything as it is MTM that starts at $400 - though that is a bit better than the $55o they normally start at.

5. Horace

Horace Senior member

I don't know with what frequency they come but Colban will be at Bergdorf today and Saturday.

That said, I am really not considering buying anything as it is MTM that starts at $400 - though that is a bit better than the $55o they normally start at.

Holy cow. I bought from them in the mid-1980's and I remember the prices being so much less. (Not to mention the exchange rate being really favorable). Obvious that prices have gone up. But still a shock.

6. Cantabrigian

I don't know how much of that is Charvet and how much of that is Bergdorf.

I believe their bespoke is around $600 or so (RJM?) with no minimum order.

I would definitely like to try them for bespoke and plan to the next time life takes me to Paris (or the next time work takes me to London and then Easy Jet takes me to Paris as is more likely the case).

I'm just looking forward to meeting Colban and if there is an amazing fabric, I may get sucked in and buy one.

I'm planning on popping by Bergdorf around 10 or so and H&H at the Benjamin around 4:30. To round out the day I may stop by Hilditch & Key who are also in town. If anyone has similar plans and would like some company, please let me know.

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I believe Charvet does do full bespoke, out of Paris at least. I haven't asked to see my pattern or anything, but they certainly seemed able to tweak my shirt and its styling any way I wanted and any way my body required. Are you implying that Charvet only does MTM, or that MTM is the only thing you can get out of Bergdorfs? The RTW and bespoke are much cheaper than in the US. RTW is around 220 euros and bespoke begins at 360 euros. All are inc VAT.

8. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Charvet does do full bespoke, out of Paris at least. Are you implying that Charvet only does MTM, or that MTM is the only thing you can get out of Bergdorfs? The RTW and bespoke are much cheaper than in the US. RTW is around 220 euros and bespoke begins at 360 euros. All are inc VAT.

I had Charvet bespoke shirts made in Paris about 15 years ago and they were $300 then. The pricing is still an amazing deal when you consider what OTR shirts are going for these days.

9. RJman

I had Charvet bespoke shirts made in Paris about 15 years ago and they were $300 then. The pricing is still an amazing deal when you consider what OTR shirts are going for these days.
    Shhhhhh... don't tell them... it's already far more than I should be paying for a shirt... not to mention that many interesting cottons are a step up the price range, before one even begins to consider the voiles and sea islands...

10. Cantabrigian

At Bergdorf usually and ever during the trunk show, you can only get MTM. I reckon that with Colban there, it should be a pretty flexible MTM.

From a five-minute conversation with someone who works the Charvet 'botique' on the first floor of Bergdorf, it sounds as though your only hope of getting a good fit is the trunk show but perhaps I spoke with someone who was new or not used to working with the MTM program.

I was under the impression - based on what I believe are Alden's photos - that they do a full bespoke (with an open-seam fitting) in Paris.

11. RJman

They make a trial shirt, actually, in Paree.

12. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

They make a trial shirt, actually, in Paree.

Oui. I had 3 fittings in a two week period and the final products were shipped to me about 30 days later.

13. Cantabrigian

What is Charvet's minimum order for full bespoke - with sample shirt(s).

What is the price range on the bespoke?

14. RJman

see above

15. Cantabrigian

Sorry, I was under the - now I realize mistaken - impression that you went for the MTM, rather than the full bespoke.

Didn't mean to underestimate you, RJ.