• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hartmann Leather Quality: Belting vs. Capital Collection vs. Aviator

tjc4golf

Reaction score
I'm considering a Hartmann folio (other suggestions in this price range would also be appreciated). Hartmann offers folios in three tiers of leather: Belting @ $230, Capital Collection @ $165 and Aviator @ $135. Descriptions from website below.

I definitely think I'd be happy with the quality of the Belting Leather. However I'm wondering if I might be as happy with one of the other lines and be able to save a few bucks at the same time. If anyone has experience with the Capital Collection and/or Aviator leathers I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. Specifically, I'd be interesting in hearing about the leather's durability and whether it develops a nice patina with use. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Hartmann Website FAQ
Aviator Leather
The softly milled, full-grain leather is light weight and has been chosen for its easy feel and extreme durability. This chrome tanned leather with an exterior aniline finish is designed to withstand extreme harsh conditions while maintaining its quality and style.

Belting Leather
For more than 60 years, Belting leather has been the finest leather available in the industry and synonymous with Hartmann. Industrial Belting Leather was originally used as belts for machinery in the 1800's; hence the name and its strength. The full-grain leather is selected from young North American steer hides, chosen for their beauty and durability. Our 100% natural vegetable vat-tanning process allows the leather to retain all of its unique characteristics, "nature's beauty marks," such as barbed wire scratches and fat wrinkles, giving each Hartmann piece an individuality not found in other leathers. The leather is hot-stuffed to wear indefinitely and finished with a full aniline dye system to provide rich color and water resistance.

Capitalâ„¢ Collection Leather
The Capital Collection is handcrafted using a full-grain upper cowhide that is chrome tanned with a vegetable re-tannage. It is finished with an aniline system that provides for vibrant color definition and a semi-lustrous surface look. The leather is "struck through" to penetrate the entire hide to prevent discoloration from abrasions.

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Bump. Anyone have experience with the Hartmann leathers?

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I have a briefcase in another brand made with belting leather.

Go with the belting leather. It is thicker and stronger than most leathers and can withstand the "slings and arrows" of daily use.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The old belting leather Hartmann briefcase I have is maybe one step below a double leather piece of shoe sole in softness; it's that tough. Not what I would call luxurious, just tough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads