• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hart Schaffner Marx navy blazers

nurktwin

Reaction score
Hello Thoughts on this HSM navy blazers? The "Gold Trumpter" navy blazer ($550) and the regular "Navy Blazer" model ($395). The "Gold Trumpeter" has silver metal buttons. Does a navy blazer need to have gold buttons? Thanks! "Gold Trumpter" navy blazer:
434750255730.detail.a.jpg
Navy Blazer:
385473430717.detail.a.jpg

nurktwin

Reaction score
Also, with respect to their blazers, what's the difference between the HS&M Capital Collection vs. Gold Trumpeter? The only difference I see between the two descriptions: Gold Trumpeter - This model elevates the luxury of the Hart Schaffner Marx brand. World class piece goods are used exclusively in all Gold Trumpeter garments. Trim details such as wing facing in the coat and gold pick stitching are the hallmarks of the Gold Trumpeter garment. Does this justify the higher price of Gold Trumpeter?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nurktwin
Also, with respect to their blazers, what's the difference between the HS&M Capital Collection vs. Gold Trumpeter? The only difference I see between the two descriptions:

Gold Trumpeter - This model elevates the luxury of the Hart Schaffner Marx brand. World class piece goods are used exclusively in all Gold Trumpeter garments. Trim details such as wing facing in the coat and gold pick stitching are the hallmarks of the Gold Trumpeter garment.

Does this justify the higher price of Gold Trumpeter?

There's a 'quick questions' thread at the top of this page- if you post there, you might get a quicker answer to a question like this.

To answer your questions, though; blazer does not necessarily need to have gold buttons, it's just traditional. There are only a few ways to distinguish a solid navy blazer from a solid navy suit jacket, and two of the simplest are fabric and buttons. For a blazer, general rule is to go for some sort texture to the fabric--suits are often made of smooth worsteds. I dislike gold buttons, but have seen some silver/pewter that I like. I personally prefer brown horn or MOP of some sort for a navy odd jacket.

Honestly, what you posted looks terrible. There is absolutely no shaping in the fronts of the jackets, and to me, they look no different than some $100 blazer you could grab at JC Penny or Macy's. Neither is worth the asking price. Some have claimed that HSM Gold Trumpeter is a half canvass construction (search the forum if you're unsure what this means), but who knows these days.

For a blazer in this price range, I'd check out Brooks.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...tionsize=#null

This looks like a new model to me- it claims to be full canvas, but I highly doubt that. In any case, it has pewter buttons, piped seams, and a nice texture to the fabric--made in the US, to boot, most likely by Southwick (a relatively well-respected manufacturer). The partial lining is a nice touch as well. It will fit much slimmer than those HSM models, if that's what you're after; even if you're not, I think it is a much more flattering fit on most average guys. Right now you can get it for 25% off with the friends and family coupon (just search for this code), and it represents a far better value than what you posted.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
For a blazer in this price range, I'd check out Brooks. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...tionsize=#null This looks like a new model to me- it claims to be full canvas, but I highly doubt that. In any case, it has pewter buttons, piped seams, and a nice texture to the fabric--made in the US, to boot, most likely by Southwick (a relatively well-respected manufacturer). The partial lining is a nice touch as well. It will fit much slimmer than those HSM models, if that's what you're after; even if you're not, I think it is a much more flattering fit on most average guys. Right now you can get it for 25% off with the friends and family coupon (just search for this code), and it represents a far better value than what you posted.
Thanks! Is there a drawback to "3/8 Bemberg lining for comfort?" Does this mean it is not fully lined? Pure wool woven in Italy. Performance fabric. Silver buttons and piped seams. 3/8 Bemberg lining for comfort. Full canvas construction with unattached sleeve buttons that can be made functional. Dry clean. Made in the USA.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nurktwin
Thanks! Is there a drawback to "3/8 Bemberg lining for comfort?" Does this mean it is not fully lined?

Pure wool woven in Italy. Performance fabric. Silver buttons and piped seams. 3/8 Bemberg lining for comfort. Full canvas construction with unattached sleeve buttons that can be made functional. Dry clean. Made in the USA.

It means that the sleeves and top portion (from shoulder to upper back) of the jacket will be lined, but everything else exposed. I personally prefer this style; it's an interesting detail for when you remove your jacket, and it also enhances the breathability of the jacket for when you wear it in warm weather.

Eight

Reaction score
From what I understand it will be a bit cooler than a fully lined jacket but that can be an upside.

Also the interior must be well made and good looking since they are showing it off.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Here's another view of the HSM gold trumpeter.
4279.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads