• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hart Schaffner Marx navy blazers

nurktwin

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2010
Messages
288
Reaction score
5
Also, with respect to their blazers, what's the difference between the HS&M Capital Collection vs. Gold Trumpeter? The only difference I see between the two descriptions: Gold Trumpeter - This model elevates the luxury of the Hart Schaffner Marx brand. World class piece goods are used exclusively in all Gold Trumpeter garments. Trim details such as wing facing in the coat and gold pick stitching are the hallmarks of the Gold Trumpeter garment. Does this justify the higher price of Gold Trumpeter?
 

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by nurktwin
Also, with respect to their blazers, what's the difference between the HS&M Capital Collection vs. Gold Trumpeter? The only difference I see between the two descriptions:

Gold Trumpeter - This model elevates the luxury of the Hart Schaffner Marx brand. World class piece goods are used exclusively in all Gold Trumpeter garments. Trim details such as wing facing in the coat and gold pick stitching are the hallmarks of the Gold Trumpeter garment.

Does this justify the higher price of Gold Trumpeter?


There's a 'quick questions' thread at the top of this page- if you post there, you might get a quicker answer to a question like this.

To answer your questions, though; blazer does not necessarily need to have gold buttons, it's just traditional. There are only a few ways to distinguish a solid navy blazer from a solid navy suit jacket, and two of the simplest are fabric and buttons. For a blazer, general rule is to go for some sort texture to the fabric--suits are often made of smooth worsteds. I dislike gold buttons, but have seen some silver/pewter that I like. I personally prefer brown horn or MOP of some sort for a navy odd jacket.

Honestly, what you posted looks terrible. There is absolutely no shaping in the fronts of the jackets, and to me, they look no different than some $100 blazer you could grab at JC Penny or Macy's. Neither is worth the asking price. Some have claimed that HSM Gold Trumpeter is a half canvass construction (search the forum if you're unsure what this means), but who knows these days.

For a blazer in this price range, I'd check out Brooks.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...tionsize=#null

This looks like a new model to me- it claims to be full canvas, but I highly doubt that. In any case, it has pewter buttons, piped seams, and a nice texture to the fabric--made in the US, to boot, most likely by Southwick (a relatively well-respected manufacturer). The partial lining is a nice touch as well. It will fit much slimmer than those HSM models, if that's what you're after; even if you're not, I think it is a much more flattering fit on most average guys. Right now you can get it for 25% off with the friends and family coupon (just search for this code), and it represents a far better value than what you posted.
 

nurktwin

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2010
Messages
288
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
For a blazer in this price range, I'd check out Brooks. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...tionsize=#null This looks like a new model to me- it claims to be full canvas, but I highly doubt that. In any case, it has pewter buttons, piped seams, and a nice texture to the fabric--made in the US, to boot, most likely by Southwick (a relatively well-respected manufacturer). The partial lining is a nice touch as well. It will fit much slimmer than those HSM models, if that's what you're after; even if you're not, I think it is a much more flattering fit on most average guys. Right now you can get it for 25% off with the friends and family coupon (just search for this code), and it represents a far better value than what you posted.
Thanks! Is there a drawback to "3/8 Bemberg lining for comfort?" Does this mean it is not fully lined? Pure wool woven in Italy. Performance fabric. Silver buttons and piped seams. 3/8 Bemberg lining for comfort. Full canvas construction with unattached sleeve buttons that can be made functional. Dry clean. Made in the USA.
 

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by nurktwin
Thanks! Is there a drawback to "3/8 Bemberg lining for comfort?" Does this mean it is not fully lined?

Pure wool woven in Italy. Performance fabric. Silver buttons and piped seams. 3/8 Bemberg lining for comfort. Full canvas construction with unattached sleeve buttons that can be made functional. Dry clean. Made in the USA.


It means that the sleeves and top portion (from shoulder to upper back) of the jacket will be lined, but everything else exposed. I personally prefer this style; it's an interesting detail for when you remove your jacket, and it also enhances the breathability of the jacket for when you wear it in warm weather.
 

Eight

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2010
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
From what I understand it will be a bit cooler than a fully lined jacket but that can be an upside.

Also the interior must be well made and good looking since they are showing it off.
 

nurktwin

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2010
Messages
288
Reaction score
5
Here's another view of the HSM gold trumpeter.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,811
Messages
9,459,494
Members
198,250
Latest member
templadero
Top