• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hart Schaffner Marx catalog images from the 1920's

darkoak

Reaction score
Thanks for these, chorse!

Looks like Thom Browne pants have been around for a while, although the jackets look long.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
notice all the trousers are worn verry high water.

and the peaked lapels are all horizontal not high peaked

belted back jackets on suits and sport coats were popular.

El Guerrouj

Reaction score
very nice, chorse!

and many of the men seem to be wearing boots. i like.

sammy

Reaction score
Great pics! Thanks for sharing. I'm inspired to have a belted back sport coat made.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Nice . . . if the images are drawn to scale, it seems that the jackets were worn on the "longer" side . . .

I like the last picture, the vent almost looks like a pleat (don't know the exact word for that kind of pleat) . . .

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fashion always wobbles around.

Most people, sooner or later, get a vision of how they would like to look. But unless they can get their clothes made to order and in defiance of fashion, the proportions of various elements move in and out with the tide.

The artist's vision of man here is as slender as a reed. The body proportion difference between man and woman in the image with the bathing suit is not so large.

High armholes, long jackets, high water pants. Form fitting but not tight, at least not in these illustrations. Of course wrinkles would be harder to draw, and detract from the illusion of 'perfect fit.'

One last note is the DB with notch lapel. Almost looks bearable with a single row of buttons. I imagine CdG has brought this back more than once.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks, this is cool

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do the men in these pictures have their suit jackets buttoned while sitting down?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
You're supposed to keep the jacket buttoned while sitting.
Really? I thought the rule was buttoned while standing; unbuttoned while sitting.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
The guys over at Fedora Lounge would love this stuff. I know I am. Thanks for the post, chorse.

EDIT: Oh, and in response to a couple things --
1. I think it's called a kickpleat? I'm not all too sure. It SOUNDS correct.
2. I believe it's okay to sit down with your jacket opened or closed, just depends on your preference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads