1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hart Schaffner Marx catalog images from the 1920's

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Hart Schnaffner & Marx also had an excellent series of posters in the teens, twenties, and thirties.

I would say that Hart Schnaffer & Marx had the best mens clothing posters in the USA, and PKZ had the best in Europe.

In the teens the great poster artist, Edward Penfield, worked for them. Two of the Penfield posters that I have seen did not particularly focus on mens clothes! One showed a cowboy, and another a horse drawn carriage of gentlemen in front of the New York Public Libary.

A friend, Jack Rennert, the dean of posters in America, is putting together a book on Penfield.

In the future I will try to post a couple of images.

Cheers.

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Really? I thought the rule was buttoned while standing; unbuttoned while sitting.
    That's what I was taught - and that includes doublebreasted jackets. YMMV.

3. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

I think that they rolled their pant legs up because they were at the beach.

4. etl

etl Senior member

thanks for the great post chorse.

I thought the gray (single button??) suit with single cuff button was intriguing. I thought single buttons were reserved for odd jackets.

5. coldworld06

coldworld06 Member

This is great, there are actually great archives of both Hickey Freeman and Hart Schaffner Marx images and garments out there. There are also a ton of archival images hanging around the office. Saks recently displayed a bunch of the Hickey Freeman archival pieces in their windows. I'll see if I can get some pictures