• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harry's vs. ..... Norstrom's?

JTP1000

Reaction score
The high end menswear landscape in Canada has been dominated by Harry's and Holt's for what seem like eternity. I think most consumers would welcome Nordstrom with open arms. Hopefully better selection and better pricing will follow.

Thrifter

Reaction score
The comments section of that article was pretty awesome.

My experience at HR: Uneducatead, snobby sales folk and crazy markups. I think I'll stick to buying online.

yellman

Reaction score
for myself, I do not think it matters.

I have never purchased anything at Harry's main store. Only a few items if that at his outlet.

I am an educated consumer and price is important. It would be very difficult to wean someone like
myself from stop shopping at the US based outlets.

As for the Canadian marketplace, Harry's name comes up each time when one considers
high end goods for men. The rest of the market is fragmented amongst mom and pop
stores. Ripe fo picking in my opinion. However, I do not know how well brooks brothers
is doing in downtown toronto. I do know they are opening up another store in Bayview
village, must be some sign of success.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today, the CEO is racing to cash in on the burgeoning demand from thirtysomething men for everything from $5,000 Tom Ford suits to $800 Denham jeans, while global luxury players such as Gucci and Hermès focus more than ever on men’s products.

What on earth are Denham jeans and how can they cost $800?

I visit the Harry Rosen flagship store in Yorkville not infrequently -- was there browsing TF sale shirts less than 48 hours ago, in fact -- and I've never seen or heard of this brand.

I also didn't know anyone priced jeans that high except Dior and Balmain, so how is a label I've never heard of charging the same premium?

EDIT: found an online retailer and they seem to average about $200 a pair (topping out under $250), so it looks like the Globe is full of ****.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
while many of their goals and offerings might be the same, Nordstrom and Harry Rosen are very different animals on paper.

Nordstrom is a publicly traded corporation that could crush Harry Rosen if it truly leverages their economic power.

HR is still a family-owned business......not really sure how they have lasted all these years, but I give them credit for doing so.

I guess time will tell how this pans out...........

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy a few things from Harry's but would rather buy online or in the US. The only real competition for them around here is Holts, BB and a couple of independents. Holt Renfrew is just as ridiculous for pricing but they have much better sales than Harry Rosen.

I welcome the competition for sure as I agree with most, Harry Rosen pricing is marked up too high. Although I have always found their customer service (while at times comparable to stalking) pretty good.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing one might want to consider buying at Harry is their JP Tilford Samuelsohn offering.

brokentelephone

Reaction score

I buy a few things from Harry's but would rather buy online or in the US. The only real competition for them around here is Holts, BB and a couple of independents. Holt Renfrew is just as ridiculous for pricing but they have much better sales than Harry Rosen.
I welcome the competition for sure as I agree with most, Harry Rosen pricing is marked up too high. Although I have always found their customer service (while at times comparable to stalking) pretty good.

I hate the HR salesperson species as a rule.

arirang

Reaction score
I can get better stuff for less $ at nearly any big-name US store than at HR. I never buy anything at HR and I don't think I'd miss them any if they were gone.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that a US company hasn't just swooped in and eaten HR's lunch. I doubt that it could be that hard.

Medtech71

Reaction score
I have never actually bought anything at Harry's. The last time I was in there I saw a pair of AE Mctavish's that I liked....I turned them over and the price tag read $399.00...

Needless to say I left empty handed. I plan on picking up a pair of seconds next month for under $200 from an outlet.

Nordstrom Rack on the other hand....veeeeeeeeeeeery interesting. I wonder how long it will take to go from store to outlet?

JTP1000

Reaction score
I don't know that Canada is the most attractive place for higher market US retailers to open brick and mortar stores.
I think the larger discussion about the menswear landscape in Canada is that it seems whether I go into Harry's or the local independent menswear shop it's all the same stuff at all the same prices. I have any number of places to go to spend $450 on a pair of AEs, but nowhere to go for C&Js. The pricing wouldn't bother me so much if there were more selection.

Syl

Reaction score
Meh.
Brooks Brothers is here and they aren't doing a damm thing to encourage competition since their prices "reflect the Canadian market environment" (whatever that means).

Bottom line, American stores will come up here and charge typical (overinflated) Canadian prices and stores like Harry etc. will go along business as usual.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought BB prices in Canada were in line with US prices?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads