• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harry Rosen pricing/business model

alt.don

Reaction score
Well I have dumped about $4.5K at the Harry Rosen store in Ottawa over the past several months and pretty all of it with one associate who I now deal with. My complaint is that when I asked for a taxes off discount of %13 on a $775 Armani coat I was given a flat no. One would think you would ask your store manager first in order to not possibly lose a sale. No such luck sadly. This is bearing in mind the steep discounts they are offering on their outgoing winter line. Makes no sense to me and seems a bad business model. Wish I were more comfortable buying clothing online but I am not. Holt Renfrew in Ottawa is pretty subpar as well so there is really no competition.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Harry Rosen is great for trying things on which you can then purchase online.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have a strict policy, no discounts. If he asked the manager, it would only be to make you feel better about asking. I do find that Harry's has good sales from time to time though.

alt.don

Reaction score
Good to know that they have a no discounts policy. Thanks for the tip. The sales they have are excellent as long as you are fine with shopping at the end of the season. All that said, I quite like the store layout and how their collections are laid out. I find shopping for clothes is also about the experience of it and not only actually buying them. Anyhow, I picked up two nice new Allen Edmonds belts today. Quite like them.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it's not their business model. They focus on selection/availability (also consider the LACK of competition), and excellent quality service. Price is just what it costs to provide all that and they assume they're not catering to price conscious consumers.

If you want to get your discount, consider buying it, holding it for 29 days to wait for a price drop hopefully and then returning and rebuying it if it's dropped or not rebuying if it hasn't. Otherwise just go online.

Or, you're in Ottawa... can you get to Montreal or Toronto sometime for better selection/prices?

alt.don

Reaction score
I have been considering going down to Montreal in search of better prices as I am quite happy with the selection at HR in Ottawa. Also I am happy with the sales associate that I deal with. Going to go to TO next fall to get my wife a bespoke coat made at Garrison. That should be fun.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harry Rosen follows what I like to call the "Canadian Business Model" which is basically:

1. Bad prices
2. Bad service

It's pretty much the Air Canada of higher end menswear. It has a (relative) monopoly, poor service, and uncompetitive prices.

I love Canada, but most "Canadian" business, including Harry's, are terrible.

teenbrunellolover

Reaction score
Props on the Air Canada joke. I think Harry's is a nice alternative to HR, but in the end why should they even offer discounts except on sales? If you can't really afford to buy those names at full price can you really afford them with a discount too?

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teenbrunellolover
Props on the Air Canada joke. I think Harry's is a nice alternative to HR, but in the end why should they even offer discounts except on sales? If you can't really afford to buy those names at full price can you really afford them with a discount too?

Harry Rosen's demographic isn't shoppers who are so rich that price isn't an option. It's people like me -- professionals who want quality at a fair price. 400$ for a pair of Allen Edmonds is not a fair price, nor is 140$ for a Duchamp tie. These are things that you can find for a fraction of the price online which is where many Canadians like myself are beginning to turn for a fairer and more realistic price.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster

They have a strict policy, no discounts. If he asked the manager, it would only be to make you feel better about asking. I do find that Harry's has good sales from time to time though.

Exactly!

Originally Posted by alt.don

Well I have dumped about $4.5K at the Harry Rosen store in Ottawa over the past several months and pretty all of it with one associate who I now deal with. My complaint is that when I asked for a taxes off discount of %13 on a $775 Armani coat I was given a flat no. One would think you would ask your store manager first in order to not possibly lose a sale. No such luck sadly. This is bearing in mind the steep discounts they are offering on their outgoing winter line. Makes no sense to me and seems a bad business model. Wish I were more comfortable buying clothing online but I am not. Holt Renfrew in Ottawa is pretty subpar as well so there is really no competition.

Would saving 13% on a $775 jacket make any long-term difference to you in comparison to the $45,000 you've already spent?

Originally Posted by Master-Classter

it's not their business model. They focus on selection/availability (also consider the LACK of competition), and excellent quality service. Price is just what it costs to provide all that and they assume they're not catering to price conscious consumers.

If you want to get your discount, consider buying it, holding it for 29 days to wait for a price drop hopefully and then returning and rebuying it if it's dropped or not rebuying if it hasn't. Otherwise just go online.

Or, you're in Ottawa... can you get to Montreal or Toronto sometime for better selection/prices?

That's just shameful, man.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alt.don

Are you still shopping there? If yes the model seems to be working just fine.

ktrp

Reaction score
HR's main demographic doesn't shop online yet.

I've generally gotten helpful service there, the odd SA didn't know what they were doing, but the majority have always treated me well, whether or not I was well dressed, been helpful, etc. They are on commission and it shows, even if I just wanted to buy a pair of socks, they always wanted to be as helpful as possible and give me their card for the next time I needed something.

The prices are brutal compares to online from other countries.

I don't know that I'll buy anything their full price again.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
That's just shameful, man.

Yep, I agree. The only reason I have done this is because often my size is simply sold out way before it ever goes to discount. Plus, as a clever shopper it's sort of within my bounds to use the 'rules' for what they're worth. if the store keeps dropping prices and I have a lower limit where i want to buy it but can't wait because it'll be gone, then yeah... I know it's a grey area for sure.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend at work has had good experiences with Harry's and has been a customer for a couple of years.

Last summer, he ordered a MTM suit during a trunk sale and when it ended up taking (much longer) than expected, his rep gave him 3 free Hilditch & Key MTM shirts. When the suit eventually did come in, it had the wrong lining so it had to be sent back.

Apparently, it got lost at the factory so they made him another suit in a different fabric. When the new suit came in, they found the old one and gave it to him free of charge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads