• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harry Rosen pricing/business model

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGstyles
BTW, for those of you in Van, how does the Oakway HR survive?

They offer a free Cinnabon bun for every $50 purchase. Who doesn't like Cinnabon?

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
I go in to browse. If the price is good, I'll buy, like the Zegna Couture tie I picked up this week for $67 at the HR in Ottawa, and a $36 Canali. Otherwise I find their Service mediocre, so I have no problems trying something on, and then buying it online. Only in Ottawa, would HR staff be considered as providing "good service".

rottencanadian

Reaction score
Suitmyself, have you been employed at HR? Because you speak about their policies as if you have been/are.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
And NO, Rosen associates do NOT give discounts as you claim. That is simply the way it is. I never received a SINGLE discount in all my 21 years shopping there.
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
oh but they do.
laugh.gif
You know, I've shopped with the same SA for the past 21 years. Never ONCE did I receive any specials like some of you claim.
Do you reek of bullshit, maybe?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not everyone has the time or intent to fly to London or Italy to have clothes made.

That's what I said......

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
But than you would have to fly somewhere just to buy clothes. That's a cool thought for us SF junkies, but not for most people.
If you have 100Gs you could have a team of Neapolitan tailors delivered to you. Or at least have one of your assistants find a better place to get your suits than harry rosen.
Originally Posted by TRINI
You think these people either have the time or interest to do that? They just want their business wardrobe covered and have it ASAP.
People with 100 grand to spend on clothes in one day would most definitely have their business wardrobe 'covered'. If you are spending 100 grand in one day then you obviously care... 100 grand at harry rosen in one day sounds a little crazy.

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
100 grand at harry rosen in one day sounds a little crazy.

I highly doubt that has ever happened.

Most salesman don't even sell for $1 million in a year until they have developed a really good clientele.

I've had a salesman at Banana Republic tell me that he has customers who spend on average $1k there per week....which is also BS because they would own every single piece in the store... plus that would be 52k in a year and whoever would spend that at BR would have to be checked in to a mental institution.

Bottom line... it's never happened. If it has, it happened once or twice...maybe if a wealthy groom decided to get a bespoke suit + shirt + shoes made for ever single one of his 7 groomsmen...and bought more stuff for the office on the same day.

Syl

Reaction score
I peruse Harry Rosen occasionally but rarely buy, even if on sale. When their sale means shoes that retail for 400 selling for 300, that's not great. Heck, Brooks Brothers has better sales right now and that's not saying too much.

The dollar is at/above par these days and even online stores have sales so with duties and taxes, you still come out ahead.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
i used to shop at harry rosen when i lived in canada..
now live in london and i would NEVER shop at harry rosen again. their prices are totally unfair.....

as mentioned by others in the forum, i would only every try on clothes at rosen, then order online or drive over to the states..

canada = rip off for everything..from car insurance to mobiles to internet to food..and of course clothing

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like see discussions about 100k shopping and $36 ties in the same thread. +1, I bought that Canali tie too. Nice tie.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Birks and Grey Socks
I go in to browse. If the price is good, I'll buy, like the Zegna Couture tie I picked up this week for $67 at the HR in Ottawa, and a $36 Canali. Otherwise I find their Service mediocre, so I have no problems trying something on, and then buying it online. Only in Ottawa, would HR staff be considered as providing "good service".

WT..? Have they got a pre-Spring let's dump our stuff event going on? I haven't been in a while. Service-wise, I've found them to be a bit indifferent, but a couple of the younger guys are enthusiastic.

alt.don

Reaction score
They are phasing out their winter collection right now anywhere from %40 to %60 off depending on the piece, or line. Some excellent deals to be had. Hit up the HR website and take a look. There is still a fairly good selection left and also in various sizes. Picked up a very nice pair of Brax jeans for $149.00 taxes in. Also ordered a Boss dress shirt at $79 retail. Not a bad deal at all! Going to try it on tomorrow. Oh yes, will also be speaking to the store manager about giving me an in-store credit for my pair of Hugo Boss jeans which came apart in the legs at the seams and had to have sewn. Hopefully he takes them back.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
I know about a half dozen canadian millionaires and price is a very BIG issue especially for clothing. Some of them would choke at even $1000 shoes. They spend far less on clothing than a small wage earner like me. Of course they have far more valuable assets/investments than I do.
Winner. The "moneyed" class in Canada (such as it is) is very frugal by world standards. I am not including the arrivistes, whose crassness is the same everywhere, but I don't encounter many of them here.
Originally Posted by WildeMan
The truly well-dressed men in Toronto --- and there are few of them --- still shop at Walter Beauchamp, Perry's, or bespoke tailors like House of Salgado. Harry Rosen has always struck me more as place for men who don't particularly care about clothes but want to be (or need to be) moderately well-dressed. They aren't concerned about thread counts or surgeon's cuffs.

I cannot say for sure, but I suspect there is a division among whatever you are calling "well dressed" here -- no doubt significant numbers of them shop at HR because it requires little thought. Those who patronize the more specialized retailers like those you listed are likely choosier, and clearly are giving the whole process more attention. Whether or not the results are any different is debateable.

I don't bother with HR anymore (haven't since the 90s). I prefer to patronize the local, individual owner shops for RTW, and get the rest tailored. Getting shoes in Canada is a whole 'nother nightmare -- strictly an on-line proposition for me now since I shun travel and am not interested in bespoke footwear. YMMV.

alt.don

Reaction score
A follow-up in case anyone is interested. I returned two pair of Hugo Boss jeans (stitching came apart on leg) as well as a pair of Harry Rosen chinos for the same reason. They were good enough to take them back "sans receipt" for an in-store credit. Very pleased with that! I in turn got two more pair of Brax casual pants and a very nice J.P Tilford button down.

I quite like the Armani spring coat there but not at the price it is selling for. Will wait till it goes on sale or is cheaper elsewhere and I can get it online.

BTW, for the poster who asked if there was a clearance for their winter wear....yes there is and the prices are truly excellent. Selection is getting limited though and the sale is only on for another week I believe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads