• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harry Rosen Economic Crisis Sale?

micbain

Reaction score
They're running an upto 40% off sale. Anyone know if anything good is actually on sale? Better to wait until after xmas? I don't want to deal with boxing day though so I wonder if its better to buy a suit now or after.

Thanks

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to a few of Harry's sales, and they've all been busts. The only stuff reduced has been crap I couldn't see anyone buying. In my opinion--based on a number of years shopping there--you'll seldom get a really good deal at Harry Rosen. I haven't set foot in either the Oakridge or Pacific Centre store for over a year now. Long-term forumers will perhaps remember my earlier posts decrying the slippage-into-mediocrity of this firm. Whether or not it is the replacement of Harry by Larry I don't really know, but for me it has ceased to be a place of much interest.

dclloyd

Reaction score
Have to admit I'm in the same boat. I used to shop there frequently, mainly the Pacific Centre store, but haven't bought more than the occasional accessory in years. Part of it is that I've just become a more savvy shopper, so paying $1100 for a 'sale' Canali just doesn't sound like as a big a deal while the other part is that they just don't seem to have as good a selection these days. Seems to be more of a focus on brand name over quality - opening the "Hugo Boss" inserts is a good demonstration of that.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bah humbug!

micbain

Reaction score
Well Harry isn't the best but there aren't a lot of alternatives in Vancity. You can get a much better deal online but if you need it in a pinch or are looking for something specific then your out of luck. You can get a bespoke suit for better construction but that takes awhile so if you can get an off the rack Canali suit for $500-$600 which looks good on you....then I don't think its that bad of a deal.
peepwall[1].gif

dclloyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
Well Harry isn't the best but there aren't a lot of alternatives in Vancity. You can get a much better deal online but if you need it in a pinch or are looking for something specific then your out of luck. You can get a bespoke suit for better construction but that takes awhile so if you can get an off the rack Canali suit for $500-$600 which looks good on you....then I don't think its that bad of a deal.
peepwall[1].gif

We really don't have a lot here do we? Toronto at least has a few outlets and other options, can't say I know of anywhere in Vancouver where you can get a real deal. "Monsieur Parviz" on Howe looks like there'd be a deal, but considering they've been running a 'going out of business' sale for about the last 6 years I'm not so sure ...
eh.gif

JeffsWood

Reaction score
BTY they just anounced that it is now a 50% off sale. Unlike the other guys I do buy at Harry's from time to time.

The 50% off sale is worth a look for shirts and ties. They have several Canali and Zegna ties marked down. At 50% off they still sell for around $50+ but if you find one you like the price is about the same many of the deals on these tie on the B & S forum when you factor in the exchange rate etc. You can also find a Canali shirt or two fro aorund $100. Again not a great deal but also not too far off what you would pay for a new Canali shirt on the net.

Suits don't seem to be a great deal and I didn't notice many of the marked down that much.

Holts also has some stuff getting marked down, so you mise well check both places out at once.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their JP Tilford shirts were on sale for 40-60% off a couple days ago. Some nice stuff. Other shirts were being sold at a flat rate, either $75 or $95 each. Not sure what the logic is behind the pricing.

Nearly all of their ties are 50% off, too. So Talbott Best of Class which retail for $145 are now around $75, etc.

I'm wondering whether to wait until boxing day, or whether I should go now in case they run out of my size in shirts.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Bah humbug!
Well spoken sir! Fully agreed on. 40 percent off the already highest price in town does not make an Economic Crisis Sale. I will pop in on Boxing Day and see what is there.

contaygious

Reaction score
Well I just bought an etro scarf for 25 percent off. Not sure about how good the rest is.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I've been to a few of Harry's sales, and they've all been busts. The only stuff reduced has been crap I couldn't see anyone buying. In my opinion--based on a number of years shopping there--you'll seldom get a really good deal at Harry Rosen. I haven't set foot in either the Oakridge or Pacific Centre store for over a year now. Long-term forumers will perhaps remember my earlier posts decrying the slippage-into-mediocrity of this firm. Whether or not it is the replacement of Harry by Larry I don't really know, but for me it has ceased to be a place of much interest.

Funny, I still drop by occasionally (the stores in Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto) but haven't actually bought anything in years. I can't say the same about Holts, where I have purchased items during their now or never sales.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just so you know, the 40% (and I'm assuming now 50% off) applied to some of the Tom Ford suits at the Bloor St. location.

nest.gif

ineffable

Reaction score
It depends how you are planning to shop. If you're looking for something in particular, I wouldn't count on it sticking around too much longer, especially if it is something that most people would like (ie. not something bizarre/too unique).

It seems like you're looking for a bargain though, and if that's the case, I would wait till after Christmas, and maybe even longer. Harry's does seem to be pretty busy recently, so I don't know how the sale is going to progress. I would expect some good deals to start popping up in the first couple of weeks of January. ** I talked to my SA at harry's, and she said I should "make sure" to stop by on boxing day. Take that for what it's worth, I guess.

I prefer the sales at Holt Renfrew, most of the time. Holt's is going to have another price drop relatively soon (before boxing day, I was told..) Another SA told me the Now or Never sale would be starting on boxing day (ie. up to 60% off), but really, I don't think I'll do the bulk of my shopping until the sales are at 75+% off.. Unless there is something you really want, I would hold off for a while if you're just looking for a good deal.

micbain

Reaction score
Well...I walked in....then walked out a little poorer. Picked up a suit and a couple of ties, all 40-50% off. I know, the SF gods will strike me down for not buying online but whatever. Looked good off the rack so I bought it. I would have waited for wwchan but that guy doesn't come to this neck of the woods until march (and by this neck of the woods I mean Seattle) and he only comes once a year so you'll have to wait another year for a second fitting.

How are Holts sales? I may take a look this week. Being 6 foot 2, the selection usually sucks at most stores so I usually grab something if it fits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads