• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Harrisons of Edinburgh fabrics

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
From what I have seen, it is to Naples what Lesser is to Savile Row.

I thought Woodhouse was the preferred source down there?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in Jungmann & Neffe in Vienna I came across some incredible overcoating that felt like it was about 36 Oz weight. It felt like carpeting. I nearly brought some. Now that could have stood up on it is own.

However, 18-20 Oz is still effortlessly lightweight by comparison. It is only just full bodied enough to be called a real cloth. Only just.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
When I was in Jungmann & Neffe in Vienna I came across some incredible overcoating that felt like it was about 36 Oz weight. It felt like carpeting. I nearly brought some. Now that could have stood up on it is own. However, 18-20 Oz is still effortlessly lightweight by comparison. It is only just full bodied enough to be called a real cloth. Only just.
We all have our crosses to bear...and then some of us have our jackets...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I thought Woodhouse was the preferred source down there?
For summer fabrics, from what I have seen. They make nice frescos. I think they are the non-fuzzy type.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sator all of this talk about heavy weight cloths is making me pant heavily

I got a hold of 10 meters of the London Lounge's Triple Overcheck pattern in 14oz Fox Flannel. This stuff weighs a ton....how can anyone manage 18 ounces in Sydney or Melbourne???

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329

I got a hold of 10 meters of the London Lounge's Triple Overcheck pattern in 14oz Fox Flannel. This stuff weighs a ton....how can anyone manage 18 ounces in Sydney or Melbourne???

Ten meters? Do you want all of that? Because I know a guy who wants a length. He will pay a reasonable price. (Not me, I have my own.)

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Ten meters? Do you want all of that? Because I know a guy who wants a length. He will pay a reasonable price. (Not me, I have my own.)

He's going to have two three-piece suits made up in it to figure out what it's like to be Sator.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
He's going to have two three-piece suits made up in it to figure out what it's like to be Sator.
I saw two members wearing triple check suits at the same time. They were so cute, like the Bobsey twins.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw two members wearing triple check suits at the same time. They were so cute, like the Bobsey twins.

You know, for some reason I read that as the Gun Club, which was the point of my joke. It's not very funny anyway, but even less so when it's the triple check...

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329

10m of double width will weight a lot!

Flannel always feel chunkier than a tightly woven worsted, resulting in an impression of it being a lot heavier than it really is. The P&B Universal worsteds from Harrison's all feel much more effortlessly light. I only wish they had more designs in the 20-21 Oz range as well as some 21-24 Oz options.

I am beginning to think of 16 Oz worsted as subtropical summer weighted cloth these days. I wore my three piece 16 Oz H Lesser lounge suit the other day in 36 C heat. I really didn't notice any difference compared with 9 Oz fresco.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sator, when did you add militancy about metalurgic-weight cloth to militancy about frock coats and the evils of black tie at formal dinners?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Huh? Are you suggesting I have stuff made up of 14 Oz tissue paper?

Of course not. As I said, I read it as the gun club for some reason.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've wondered sometimes if anyone here, other than myself, had any clue what I was talking about when I mention the Bobbsey twins. I'm glad to see them namechecked. Props to you, Iammatt. Props to you.

Featured Sponsor

Friday Challenge "Suited and Booted" VOTE NOW

• An Acute Style

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Bernoulli

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Brennenman

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • cr2596

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Crafty Cumbrian

Votes: 8 13.8%