Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Harrisons - Mystique v Frontier

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Gorse, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Gorse

Gorse New Member

I'm getting a suit made for my wedding (in June in the UK).

I'm after a slightly brighter blue than I would usually wear to the office, but one which isn't too off the wall and still looks relatively formal.

Having visited my tailor, the two that seemed to fit the bill are from Harrisons of Edinburgh and are Mystique 33445 and, the slightly heavier, Frontier 65064.

Does anyone have any experience of either/both of those fabrics and if so would you recommend them?

Many thanks indeed - togther with picking the wine, its the one element of the wedding which I'm really enjoying!

2. bertie

bertie Senior member

I have had pants made up in both (though not jackets). I would think Frontier would make a better all around suit. The Mystique is quite light weight.

3. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

If the choice is between them, Frontier it is. Though I think the 10/11 oz Lesser is approximately the same weight, and performs better.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Might want to post in the Unfunded Liabilities thread--most of the people who would be able to answer this frequent there.

5. Gorse

Gorse New Member

Gents

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to this - I really appreciate it.

I have pressed on and ordered the Frontier; I'll report back with how it goes.

G

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I have a "blazer suit" made from the 65064 fabric with casual styling. I agree that it is more versatile than the lighter Mystique, and it should be comfortable to wear in all but the very hottest weather.

Looking at Harrisons' website, it appears they have adopted a different numbering system for the Frontier collection. I believe what they now label #67601 is very similar if not identical to the 65064.

7. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

How does the Frontier compare to the 9/10 oz. Fresco? Can you where it comfortably when the temps are in the 80s?

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Well, it is the Frontier is a 10-ounce fabric with a fairly open weave. I have worn it with good comfort when the temperatures were in the 90s, but I obviously wouldn't want to walk a couple of miles wearing a jacket from this fabric...or any jacket, for that matter, in such temperatures.

9. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

I have experience with both Fresco and Frontier.

Frontier is a fabulous cloth, makes up very well, has a better hand than Fresco and better patterns too.

Fresco runs cooler (if there's a breeze). I haven't noticed much difference in the ability to shed wrinkles but imagine that Fresco being a high twist cloth will be superior in this regard. Fresco makes up well.

To sum up. I would say that Fresco is the better travel cloth, combining coolness with wrinkle resistance. Frontier has the better hand and better patterns.

My own preference is for Frontier.

I haven't tried Mystique but the patterns in the book look great.

Fresco isn't a particularly popular cloth in Britain, my tailor sells little of it. The hand is consider to rough for a cloth of that price/quality he says.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

10. CrimsonWave

CrimsonWave Well-Known Member

Thank you for that post, Lovelace.

11. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

You may also consider Lesser Tropical. About the same price, and has a wonderful vibrant blue:

[​IMG]

12. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

Lessers have some lovely blues, can't comment on the quality of their tropical wool.

I think I have that tie. Is it Drakes?