• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harrisons 150s wool, Grand Cru range

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About a year ago, having just picked up my first suit in this cloth from my tailor, I waited for the right day to wear it for the first time. That day proved to be an Indian summer one in NYC. Not cold but not hot, I walked around in comfort not worrying about the weather which might ordinarily cause me to work up a lather. At one point, I thought I had left my jacket at the office but I was wearing it. Part of the explanation is the skill with which my tailor makes a jacket but part of the reason was the lightness and smoothness of the cloth. Characteristics of Harrisons SUPER 150's Grand Cru Special Reserve. This is the 2nd edition following the success of the initial launch of the quality in 2006. For this edition, Harrisons added another 10 designs, including the two Pure Platinum ,and one 24carat gold stripe, which are a little more expensive. These patterns probably appeal more to Russian, Middle Eastern and people in entertainment. There are a few key ingredients that Harrisons have maintained in this bunch... Same construction, same finish, and of course still 2 fold warp & weft...this gives the cloth not only a luxurious handle, but as importantly, it gives you great every day performance and wear. Many other makers super lightweight 150's which are made with singles weft, and found in high end ready to wear garments also have a light, smooth feel but they wear out quickly and do not lend themselves to tailoring as well as Harrisons Grand Cru super 150s does. This where Harrisons use 2 fold warp and weft along with its tighter weaving and 11oz per yard weight really deliver a garment with long lasting smoothness and resiliency. Harrisons make no bones about the fact that Grand Cru, as with all their qualities in the Harrisons ranges, are primarily targeted for tailors; these are the customers who understand how fabric works, not only during the making of the garment, but also how well the cloth will perform for their customers once they are actually wearing it.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
About a year ago, having just picked up my first suit in this cloth from my tailor, I waited for the right day to wear it for the first time. That day proved to be an Indian summer one in NYC. Not cold but not hot, I walked around in comfort not worrying about the weather which might ordinarily cause me to work up a lather. At one point, I thought I had left my jacket at the office but I was wearing it. Part of the explanation is the skill with which my tailor makes a jacket but part of the reason was the lightness and smoothness of the cloth.

Characteristics of Harrisons SUPER 150's Grand Cru Special Reserve.

This is the 2nd edition following the success of the initial launch of the quality in 2006.
For this edition, Harrisons added another 10 designs, including the two Pure Platinum ,and one 24carat gold stripe, which are a little more expensive. These patterns probably appeal more to Russian, Middle Eastern and people in entertainment.

There are a few key ingredients that Harrisons have maintained in this bunch...
Same construction, same finish, and of course still 2 fold warp & weft...this gives the cloth not only a luxurious handle, but as importantly, it gives you great every day performance and wear.

Many other makers super lightweight 150's which are made with singles weft, and found in high end ready to wear garments also have a light, smooth feel but they wear out quickly and do not lend themselves to tailoring as well as Harrisons Grand Cru super 150s does. This where Harrisons use 2 fold warp and weft along with its tighter weaving and 11oz per yard weight really deliver a garment with long lasting smoothness and resiliency.

Harrisons make no bones about the fact that Grand Cru, as with all their qualities in the Harrisons ranges, are primarily targeted for tailors; these are the customers who understand how fabric works, not only during the making of the garment, but also how well the cloth will perform for their customers once they are actually wearing it.

lurch2.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The chalk stripe is nice...the white rope stripe is more challenging to my eye.

How many things do you have made up in this?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
At one point, I thought I had left my jacket at the office but I was wearing it. Part of the explanation is the skill with which my tailor makes a jacket but part of the reason was the lightness and smoothness of the cloth.

Anything similar happen with your trousers?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Which white rope stripe?

I recall seeing a white on black in that book that I found interesting.

It would be unpopular here.

I have 3 suits and getting more.

Sweet.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
lurch2.jpg

I think he was including iTailors as well. Possibly e-tailers, but they are having a rough go of things.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If this cloth is to Premier Cru what Thunderbird is to white zin, it must be fantastic.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I recall seeing a white on black in that book that I found interesting. It would be unpopular here. Sweet. - B
On the first roll they made the cloth was actually black interwoven with navy which gave it an interesting midnight blue color (Shown here), unfortunately they corrected their mistake and made it jet black.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only supers I have is the Millennium Cloth from Minnis. It was labeled in the books as 150s and came with 160s marked on the selvedge. 25% cashmere.

It is pretty luxe feeling, but I don't much go for that. Not really against it either, if I am getting a worsted, though sometimes I do prefer a harder feeling twill (like from the Botany books (Smith, I think)). But if I were getting a glen plaid worsted, I would consider a supers. I would never get one of these in a stripe, though.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
The only supers I have is the Millennium Cloth from Minnis. It was labeled in the books as 150s and came with 160s marked on the selvedge. 25% cashmere. It is pretty luxe feeling, but I don't much go for that. Not really against it either, if I am getting a worsted, though sometimes I do prefer a harder feeling twill (like from the Botany books (Smith, I think)). But if I were getting a glen plaid worsted, I would consider a supers. I would never get one of these in a stripe, though.
I have swatches of that Minnis material but I never bit. How has that held up and worked for you? They have a couple of reserved glen plaids and windowpanes. As you may know, I am a striped suit wearer. I recently picked up the navy version of the black/midnight blue stripe pictured above in a single breasted, one button, peak lapel. Maybe that sort of bold rope stripe which is modeled after a swatch I had of the boldest rope Ive ever seen would be too much for this place which, as Vox hinted at, tends towards more conformity than it would admit.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have swatches of that Minnis material but I never bit. How has that held up and worked for you? . . .
Fine, but I treat it as a "have something nice in the evening" suit more than an all the time suit so I can't prove that it is durable. I don't recall what patterns are in the book, but mine is a dark navy herringbone (not micro). That formal look, not the grade, is the reason I don't use it as a daily-wear. It doesn't stay as crisp as other stuff, but that is more likely from the cashmere content than the supers aspect and was something Raphael warned me about in advance. If I have the time, I like to re-press the trousers before wearing them. It does have a luxe look, so if you like that, don't mind the cashmere and they have a pattern you like, I am sure you will be happy with it. [/quote]

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Fine, but I treat it as a "have something nice in the evening" suit more than an all the time suit so I can't prove that it is durable. I don't recall what patterns are in the book, but mine is a dark navy herringbone (not micro). That formal look, not the grade, is the reason I don't use it as a daily-wear. It doesn't stay as crisp as other stuff, but that is more likely from the cashmere content than the supers aspect and was something Raphael warned me about in advance. If I have the time, I like to re-press the trousers before wearing them. It does have a luxe look, so if you like that, don't mind the cashmere and they have a pattern you like, I am sure you will be happy with it.
Yeah well that's the cashmere blend. if it were 100% worsted cashmere it might actually be stronger, sometimes the blend produces a beautiful fabric that doesnt quite hold the crease as well. Still enjoyable though. Here were my observations on the Harrisons super 150s: Film Noir Buff's Personal observations. Construction is High grade yarn in all 150s quality, not flimsy, has body at 11 oz. but feels light as a feather on the body. Grand Cru doesn't wrinkle much and the few that appear shake out over night on a hanger. The cloth shows no signs of bagging or pulling. Fabric feels cool and smooth against the skin which means that this fabric, in spite of its 11oz weight, rarely makes the wearer hot or uncomfortable. And, if you lift weights, the softness of the cloth will yield to your Monday morning triceps expansion. The cloth also takes the dye well for a rich, even color/shade. There are still not enough stripes in the collection. However along with several narrow pinstripes in several colors on grey, navy and black backgrounds there are a navy and a charcoal with a medium resolution chalk stripe (charcoal version pictured with skull+crossbones lining) and a very distinct white rope stripe on a navy, black or dark grey background (black version shown with double breasted jacket). This cloth has a very impressive look for business or for casual suits worn for dressier events. It is an excellent value and costs no more than any other woolen merchants' super 150s cloth.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tailor's comments on Harrisons Super 150s Grand Cru range: My tailor, Nino Corvato rarely raves about a cloth. This is partly because he works with so many nice cloths. However he continually sings the praises of this Harrisons super 150s cloth as one of the best he has ever worked with. He claims that it is a dream to work with. In his opinion the overall look of the cloth from a construction and finish perspective is that it is excellent, professional and has a current look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads