• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harrison Moonbeam

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Any idea where I can find this cloth in Hong Kong? I want to buy and take it to my tailor.
I found Chan has but it is a bit expensive to me for a bespoke jacket from Chan but I really like the cloth.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Peter Lee of Lee Baron should be able to source it for you. Just give him a bit of time (10 days-ish) to do so. He's less expensive than Chan and still does excellent work. The website is http://www.leebaron.ca/main.html and the contact information is under Contacts. Good luck and tell him David Beckwith said hi.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always order directly from Harrisons... I've also asked for fabric samples for entire books (e.g. the Moonbeam book), and they've sent these to me for free -- granted I'm in the UK, so there may be delivery charges overseas.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And you could always buy the cloth direct from Andrew Rogers who's an SF member depending on his schedule.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
You could always order directly from Harrisons... I've also asked for fabric samples for entire books (e.g. the Moonbeam book), and they've sent these to me for free -- granted I'm in the UK, so there may be delivery charges overseas.
I always thought Harrisons just dealt with the trade.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I always thought Harrisons just dealt with the trade.
I can't speak for others but they sold directly to me. From what I understand, the price for private customers is probably higher than the trade price, but it wasn't exorbitant...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just saw this stuff a few weeks ago. Feels nice if you want something cashmere-like, and the designs are great. However, I was warned that it can be difficult to tailor well and is a relatively delicate cloth.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I just saw this stuff a few weeks ago. Feels nice if you want something cashmere-like, and the designs are great. However, I was warned that it can be difficult to tailor well and is a relatively delicate cloth.
Mmmm, my tailor didn't struggle with it. There are different weaves in the book, however. One thing, it made up big, if that makes sense.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is nice stuff, but I think I prefer coarser, heavier worsted tweeds (e.g. Glenroyal) and "true" tweeds... I think I get more use out of heavier fabrics here in the UK...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I can't speak for others but they sold directly to me. From what I understand, the price for private customers is probably higher than the trade price, but it wasn't exorbitant...
Right, I have rang them in the past to enquire whether they have a certain cloth in stock. My tailor has an account with them, so I'll let him deal with them. It's of interest to those who patronise tailors who don't stock Harrison's. Harrison's make some excellent cloth.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, I have rang them in the past to enquire whether they have a certain cloth in stock. My tailor has an account with them, so I'll let him deal with them. It's of interest to those who patronise tailors who don't stock Harrison's. Harrison's make some excellent cloth.
My usual tailor stocks Harrisons so would normally go through him... However, I'm paying a visit to Singapore - and just for a bit of fun - thought i would try gshen's tailor. They have a harder time getting heavier-weight cloth in Singapore, and the uplift for some of the LBD fabrics (I've been told) is quite steep. Thought I'd just bring my own cloth instead.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Harrison's make some excellent cloth.

I've always wanted to try Lesser, but my tailor strongly prefers Harrison's. Since I'm only had experience with the latter, I can't really compare. However, my Fine Classics worsted charcoal herringbone suit wears very, very well.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? I always heard the opposite. Swatches feel like they would be difficult to tailor, but Patrick at Chan really likes it and a jacket I had made by another tailor in Moonbeam commented on the niceness of the fabric. He even thought it was cashmere at the basted fitting. It drapes well and doesn't wrinkle easily which is a plus in my book. I have two Moonbeam jackets and while they are supposed to be same weight, one wears much warmer which is interesting.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to try Lesser, but my tailor strongly prefers Harrison's. Since I'm only had experience with the latter, I can't really compare. However, my Fine Classics worsted charcoal herringbone suit wears very, very well.
Well, I remember FNB saying that the Italians love Harrison's cloth, gives them that English look but is more up to date or some such. Their Cashmere jacketings are the best you can buy. The Fine Classics bunch is very good, there's some nice pick & picks in there. I'm rather fond of the Frontier bunch for summer suitings. Much prefer it to Fresco, who's hand I don't like, even though, admittedly, Fresco has slightly better performance.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Really? I always heard the opposite. Swatches feel like they would be difficult to tailor, but Patrick at Chan really likes it and a jacket I had made by another tailor in Moonbeam commented on the niceness of the fabric. He even thought it was cashmere at the basted fitting. It drapes well and doesn't wrinkle easily which is a plus in my book. I have two Moonbeam jackets and while they are supposed to be same weight, one wears much warmer which is interesting.

I can only vouch for what I was told. I have no idea how true it is. Maybe it it true for my tailor but not others. Don't know. My understanding is that it tends to stretch out irregularly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads