• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harrison James

tgfny

Reaction score
In the late '90's there was a fun men's shop on 54th St in Manhattan called Harrison James. It lasted around 2 yrs. Who was behind it and how did it have such a short lifespan? There was also a young African American who worked there and was a designer. He was originally from Georgia. Does anyone know his name?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I believe you're thinking of Avery Lucas. A true gentleman, with great taste, and a wealth of knowledge. He is one of only two people I have ever met who had a complete set of all the Apparel Arts issues from the 1930s. Talk about envy. Avery worked at a lot of places in Manhattan, including St. Laurie and Dormeuil. I can't remember who was behind Harrsion James, but others certainly will. As to its short lifespan, the most likely explanation is that they were selling decent but not spectacular or unique goods at much too high a price, with much too much overhead, to last very long.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
My hearsay information is that it was opened by the former manager of the late Bijan on Fifth Ave. (The Beverly Hills Bijan is still going strong.) He had backing from some major Bijan customers.

The store, Harrison James, was named after his children.

Some very talented people worked there. E.g., Robert Gillotte who became bespoke manager at Turnbull. Also, tailor Phillip Ferrante who became Flusser's tailor at Saks. Mr. Ferrante stayed at Saks and is the head of alterations. If you buy a suit there insist that he fit you. He's a great tailor, and he still makes some suits for some private customers.

I assume that it died for lack of lack of enough business to carry the enormous overhead of a townhouse.

I believe that the owner has his own tailoring business in Fiorvanti Building called Tailoring by Allan.

lisapop

Reaction score
Alan Katzman was at least one of the people running **, which was named after his two sons.  AK now runs a high-end "custom" clothing firm on 57th St.  Last time I was there, suits started at around $5,000.  
Grayson

tgfny

Reaction score
Thank you. It was Avery Lucas. I knew Rob well when he was at T&A. Went to Oxxford then Brioni. Where's he now?

lisapop

Reaction score
I heard Avery Lucas now owns a wines and spirits business, but I had spoken with him not too, too long when he was working at Barry Bricken. He and his wife made shirts out of their home in Westchester, however I never had the chance to visit with him. We spoke about various tailors around NY. Nice guy.
Grayson

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I too want to know where Rob Gillotte is. We met years ago at The tailoring shop of John Reyle. At that time he was working with Calvin Klein as a consultant. We would get together and chat all the time. He used to send me customers when he was at Turnbull. I saw Avery a few months ago. He was helping a guy who had a women's wear business to develop a men's tailored sportswear business. I am not sure where they are at with it. I don't think his wife, adriana has been in front of a sewing machine in a long time. No one returns a bottle of Vodka for shrinkage. I met them years ago when they took over the Onyx shirt business on West 37th st. from Jerry Drotman. Jerry recently passed away. He was still making a few shirts a week from his spare bedroom in Plantation, Florida for a few select customers. The Harrison James business always seemed like a financial disaster from the start. I don't want to know how much money was lost in that venture. Carl www.cego.com

lisapop

Reaction score
The Harrison James business always seemed like a financial disaster from the start. I don't want to know how much money was lost in that venture.

The ** failure paled in comparison to the Louis Boston stint on 57th St some years ago (Anyone remember that?). Bad location, location, location, among other factors.
Grayson

tgfny

Reaction score
The Harrison James business always seemed like a financial disaster from the start. I don't want to know how much money was lost in that venture.
The ** failure paled in comparison to the Louis Boston stint on 57th St some years ago (Anyone remember that?). Â Bad location, location, location, among other factors. Grayson
Wasn't it like on 57th and 8th or some other location in Jersey? Great place for a car dealership, not so great for a highend retailer.

lisapop

Reaction score
Opposite direction: LB was situated on 57th St. off of Lex, which is an area known for lots of cheesy luggage shops and lowrung boutiques.
Grayson

lisapop

Reaction score
Biggest retail debacle on 57th St might have been the much- ballyhooed French-based Galeries Lafayette store, which had been adjacent to Tiffany, now replaced, ironically, by Niketown, a far cry. Although, judging from the prices of Nike's sneakers, maybe not such a far cry after all.
Grayson

cuffthis

Reaction score
I wonder which lost more money, Harrison James or Dormeuil custom tailor (62nd St?)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I wonder which lost more money, Harrison James or Dormeuil custom tailor (62nd St?)
67th, actually. Not to be pedantic.
smile.gif
I'll bet ** did. Much bigger store, larger staff, bigger overhead.

cuffthis

Reaction score
But it seems people actually shopped at **. All of my NYC friends went to Dormeuil, said how outrageously priced things in the townhouse were, and didn't buy anything. And these guys are big purchasers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads