1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Harris Tweed Jacket - Quality and Fit Question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radix, Sep 25, 2006.

1. radix

radix Member

I just bought a used Harris Tweed blazer - the kind that a university profesor is supposed to wear.

1. The jacket is "Made in England" (a good sign, I guess) by Daks. I wonder if it is a full canvas construction. There is some thick material between the wool and the body lining. Could that be the canvas?

2. My waist and chest measurements are 39 and 33, while the jacket measurements are 44 and 42. Should I have the waist taken in a bit? If yes, how much? I'm 34 year old, so I don't want an old man's cut (yet).

Radix

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Funny, I was looking at a used one myself. I thought it would be nice for the fall since most of the stuff I own is light. How heavy would you describe it?

As far as the construction I don't know but I can say that if you search the forums you should be able to find out for yourself.

As far as the fit, you should take it to a tailor and they will tell you what could/should be done.

3. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

1. that sounds like canvas.
    2. see a tailor. unless you are a professor then wear it as is.

4. radix

radix Member

Yes, I AM a professor.

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

If you plan to wear a sweater vest under the jacket you may want a bit more room in the waist.

6. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

I really like Daks. Used to see them all the time in the thrifts, but no more (for some reason). Daks could always be counted on to provide nice renditions of fairly eccentric English country clothes. Double-vented tweed shooting jacket with leather shoulder patch and leather trimmed button holes? Check. Later on they sold a license to s.one here in the US. If your jacket was made in England it's almost certainly canvassed. Daks was never an old fogey outlet like Dunn & Co, but they never struck me as offering a really dashing cut either (though things might be different these days--immsmc, Daks is trying to pull some sort of Burberry; for a time they had Timmothy Everest designing).