• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harris Tweed for (mtm/bespoke suit) trousers?

Doc4

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Harris Tweed suit made up for me ... but the concern I have is that the material won't be suitable for pants. Sure, jackets and vests are fine, but I just see it wearing out way too soon in the pants to make this practical ... or am I mistaken.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
I just see it wearing out way too soon in the pants to make this practical

Wearing out? Isn't the whole point of tweed that it is very hard-wearing? What makes you think it would wear out quicker than any other suiting?

Fred H.

Reaction score
I agree. Harris Tweed is like Teflon. Lasts forever. I have an overcoat that -- I kid you not -- was 55 years old on October 15th! (But, if you're worried, get a second pair of trousers made.)

Montauk

Reaction score
No need for concern. I have Harris tweed trousers from the 30s that are still going strong.

Doc4

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys. The Harris Tweed I've seen lately (admittedly on cheap jackets) is pretty lightweight and loosely woven, presumably to make the fabric more "acceptable" to a modern market that doesn't value traditional tweed, and seemed like it would wear away pretty qucikly.

Originally Posted by Fred H.
I agree. Harris Tweed is like Teflon. Lasts forever. I have an overcoat that -- I kid you not -- was 55 years old on October 15th! (But, if you're worried, get a second pair of trousers made.)

Don't worry, the two-pants approach will be standard for me ... I just don't want to have to order 4 pairs.
facepalm.gif
lol8[1].gif

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
Thanks for the info, guys. The Harris Tweed I've seen lately (admittedly on cheap jackets) is pretty lightweight and loosely woven, presumably to make the fabric more "acceptable" to a modern market that doesn't value traditional tweed, and seemed like it would wear away pretty qucikly.

Don't worry, the two-pants approach will be standard for me ... I just don't want to have to order 4 pairs.
facepalm.gif
lol8[1].gif

Hmm. I'm not very familiar with lightweight Harris tweed, so I can't personally vouch for it. In any case, I'm not a big believer in the two-trouser approach unless you're going to be wearing the suit constantly (like working class men used to by necessity).

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ya, that stuff lasts forever, go for it, and post some pics

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Def get the trousers lined.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads