• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harrington Jacket

juniper

Reaction score
I picked up one of the Sherman harringtons from John Lewis a few weeks ago in navy - very happy with it. I have a 41 inch chest and am not slim, and am wearing a medium.

It's a fairly lightweight jacket, but seems ok for autumn. The lining is a non-traditional check, rather than a tartan as such.

How should the collar be worn, by the way? Up or down? 'Up' isn't really 'popped' in the case, is it?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Up if you're chilly, down if you're warm. The Ben Sherman one seems especially designed to be worn up though.

thorough

Reaction score
Originally Posted by juniper
I picked up one of the Sherman harringtons from John Lewis a few weeks ago in navy - very happy with it. I have a 41 inch chest and am not slim, and am wearing a medium.

It's a fairly lightweight jacket, but seems ok for autumn. The lining is a non-traditional check, rather than a tartan as such.

How should the collar be worn, by the way? Up or down? 'Up' isn't really 'popped' in the case, is it?

any chance you can give a length measurement for me
smile.gif

i think it looks good both ways btw.

KD-fens

Reaction score
Are the warrior harringtons baggy? I'm considering getting a burgundy one in Large, which according to the site I'm look at it 38-40. I have about a 40 chest. I'm 6'2, as well. I don't know how long my arms are, but does this board think that a large warrior should fit me comfortably?

Timmbo

Reaction score
I've seen a few mentions of Merc Harringtons, but posts have been unspecific about which Merc jacket's they have (from my searching, anyway). Has anyone tried/bought a Merc Rodwell Harrington? The regular Harrington doesn't come in quite the same red, so I'm looking to get this one. There doesn't seem to be much difference, except in the fabrics used for the outer (100% cotton instead of a cotton-polyester blend) and the lining. If anyone can comment on the Rodwell, would be great! http://www.merc.com/collection/jacke...on-jacket-ss10

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69
My Merc is also an XXL, I got that size as I wanted it roomier in the

Reviving a classic thread to ask a quick sizing question. I have a 38" chest, broad shoulders, slim waist, short arms and a long torso - normally order a 'M' or '38'. I'm about to order this:

http://www.sourpussclothing.com/inde...MAROON&start=1

Whixh I *think* is the same as this:

http://www.merc.com/collection/mens-...rington-jacket

but not sure if I should go with the 'S' or the 'M'. Any thoughts?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^

Follow-up: I ordered a size S and am returning it for an M. The arms are about right, the length short but acceptable, the shoulders a little too tight. The fit is very slim.

The fabric is fantastic - much nicer than the poly blended JtG Harringtons.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Land's End Canvas Harrington jackets? Any feedback?

Greggers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Has anyone tried the Land's End Canvas Harrington jackets? Any feedback?

My chest measures to a 42, but in most rtw, that translates to 40. But on the off chance they were true to size, I gave the Large a shot. It was huge.

In addition, I didn't really think it was cut and styled like a traditonal Harrington. E.g., a seam ran across the top of the shoulder, the hem and cuffs didn't have the elasticized trim I was expecting, there's not even a tartan lining.

Land's End did, however, send me a nice faux-handwritten thank you note for my purchase.

Because of the styling issues, it's going back, and I've ordered a Joesph Abboud in a medium to take it's place.

Reaction score
Hi, I was looking to buy a Harrington jacket just like this one:

Does anyone know which brand is it? I really like that same kind of tartan lining and that non-baggy look.

I'm 37" at the chest and 32.7" (yeah, it's 83cm, god bless the unit converters!) around the waist. What black harrington could I wear for a slim look like that one? I would like it to be on the short side too, I wouldn't want it to go to belt-level!

Thanks in advance

3dials

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got hooked on Harringtons. I wanted to know your thoughts on the Ben Sherman Cramerton Harrington. I have a few Ben Sherman articles, but am not sure about the price. I don't care a whit about it being limited to 400 pieces, but I do like the material which I believe would have a nice weight to it without being too heavy.

Link: http://www.bensherman.com/outerwear/jackets/the-cramerton-harrington.html

Description
This special edition Harrington jacket has been designed and crafted in England, utilising a unique 8.8oz Cramerton cloth. The Cramerton fabric was originally developed for the US Army and is still proudly woven in the USA, providing unrivalled comfort and durability. Finished with cord elbow patches and corozo nut buttons, only 400 of this limited edition piece have been produced and are available exclusively through Ben Sherman stores and bensherman.com.
Fit: Regular Fit
Colour: Vintage Rock

3dials

Reaction score
Bump. Anyone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads