• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harrington Jacket Fit Advice?

bob78h

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to add a Harrington jacket to my closet - always liked the style. I've purchased a Baracuta G9 in 2 sizes (38 and 40), but I'm unsure which size to keep. It seems the modern version is cut much slimmer than the original, at least in the arms and shoulders, but I'm not sure how slim it is supposed to be? Hoping you folks could help me out, I've attached some pictures of trying on both sizes.

38 (bottom pictures) - Sleeve and jacket length feel perfect. Definitely a trim fit everywhere. The shoulders pull a little bit if I cross my arms and reach out as far as I can, otherwise, no restriction in movement. Maybe a little tight if I wanted to layer a thick sweater underneath, but I hardly ever do this as the weather is fairly mild here.

40 (top pictures) - Although still fairly close fitting in the shoulders/chest, the jacket feels a little long in the body and the sleeves also bunch up slightly. There is a fair bit of extra material in the midsection. Plenty of room for layers, but it sometimes looks like a beer belly when zipped up, or the extra material puffs out in the lower back.

I was leaning towards the 38 as I'm mostly planning to wear this with just a t-shirt or button down underneath. Just wanted to source some opinions from others!

Untitled.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think that jacket works very well on you in either size, but between the two, I prefer the larger one.

When in doubt, always choose the larger size. The last 15 years of menswear trends have pushed men to think they can wear slimmer fits than they should. We're in a strange place in fashion right now where classic clothing and fashion-forward styles are converging towards a fuller fit. I think you'll be happier with your choices in the long run when you choose the larger size. When in doubt, size up.

bob78h

Reaction score
I don't think that jacket works very well on you in either size, but between the two, I prefer the larger one.

When in doubt, always choose the larger size. The last 15 years of menswear trends have pushed men to think they can wear slimmer fits than they should. We're in a strange place in fashion right now where classic clothing and fashion-forward styles are converging towards a fuller fit. I think you'll be happier with your choices in the long run when you choose the larger size. When in doubt, size up.

Thanks for the advice. Just curious, why don't you think the jacket is a good fit for me? Any other styles you think I should consider instead?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Just curious, why don't you think the jacket is a good fit for me? Any other styles you think I should consider instead?

The silhouette isn't very flattering.

I would start more with the aesthetic you're trying to build towards.

You may find these posts useful

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between the 2, I agree, the 40 works better.

I’ve always struggled with jackets like this because I’m not particularly tall so the bottom either tends to bunch too much when zipped or if pulled down, looks really odd.

I think if you unzip it from the bottom a bit, it might drape a bit cleaner.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For this kind of jacket, should your starting point of gauging fit be whether the shoulder seams are in fact on your shoulders, or on the fit on the torso even if the shoulders are dropped? I'm wary of sizing up on this kind of jacket because the shoulders would end up being wrong, and imagine they are intended to have a slim cut and you should not wear anything thicker than a thin cashmere sweater under one of these.

If you got one of these and it feels snug around the chest, is that automatically a return and the cut cannot be right for you?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads