• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hard to find jeans that fit (so far, only fossil continentals)

thefir

Reaction score
hello,

i have quite a small frame, so whenever i buy ae jeans or something, they turn out too baggy. i like a slimmer fit with a below the waist rise... about a year ago i found some old styles of fossil continental jeans and found they fit me perfectly... tried to go back to get a newer style of daltons and didnt like them as much... i dont know if any of this helps, but id love to find a "reasonably" priced jean thats low-rise and will look slim enough on me like the fossils do. if anyone could help, that would be great!

ineffable

Reaction score
What's reasonably priced? I would reccomend going to a store that sells higher quality jeans and find a style that fits you well. Then check bluefly/ebay. That would be the best way, imo. Some of the newer premium denim brands are hard to find at a reasonable discount (ie. rag and bone, 5ep), but a lot of good quality jeans are to be had for half price or less.

If you'd like something a little easier, you could post the measurements of those jeans here (waist, inseam, rise, width at knee, width at cuff), and i (or someone else) could reccomend a similar fitting jean.

thefir

Reaction score
Hey, Thank you for the response. I suppose reasonably priced for me is $100 or less, but if im desperate, ill go over... I took some measurements of the jeans and they are:

waist = 28
inseam = 30
rise = 8 inches from crotch to top
width at knee = 8 inches across
width at cuff = 10 inches across

thanks to anyone who can help.. already a great way to start out on this forum!

nairb49

Reaction score
Try looking for APC online, they tend to come up relatively often.

Jeans like Earnest Sewn, Paper Denim, etc come up on ebay all the time and you can usually get away with 70-80 after shipping.

Good luck

thefir

Reaction score
I found a nice pair of paper denim in size 28 on ebay, but it says: "Note on fit: The style runs small. It is recommended to size up. A size equals an actual waistband." My actual waist size is 31 inches, so would I really want to avoid a 28 and go for a 31 for paper denim brand?

BigSur

Reaction score
It sounds like your jeans are flared. How about Skinners or ES Hutch? You can get skinners in your size really cheap on Ebay.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thefir
Hey, Thank you for the response. I suppose reasonably priced for me is $100 or less, but if im desperate, ill go over... I took some measurements of the jeans and they are:

waist = 28
inseam = 30
rise = 8 inches from crotch to top
width at knee = 8 inches across
width at cuff = 10 inches across

thanks to anyone who can help.. already a great way to start out on this forum!

Are the measurements of the waist and inseam the TRUE measuements? Coz if they are marked 28 I think they would be around 30", especially since you said you have a 31" waist in the thread I recommended above. The waist of the Skinner is 30"-30.5" around. Also, the rise of the Skinner is 8" (on my pair of 30x32) as well.

thefir

Reaction score
actually, the real waist on the jeans is indeed 30 inches. the inseam is the true measurement. but also, wouldnt unwashed skinner jeans shrink a lot after washing them?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thefir
actually, the real waist on the jeans is indeed 30 inches. the inseam is the true measurement. but also, wouldnt unwashed skinner jeans shrink a lot after washing them?
No, they are sanforized (pre-treated to prevent permanent shrinkage). In my experience they will shrink back only as much as to their original size after wash. So when new the skinners are 30". When you wear them they'll stretch to 30.5-31 inches. When you wash them they'll shrink back to the original 30", and when you wear them they will stretch back out again.

Then again the closest thing my pair have been to washing is a 1hr long soak in lukewarm water.

thefir

Reaction score
well sonick, it sounds like the rise on these is the same as the fossils im wearing right now but that the waist will stretch out less (however, the fossils tend to stretch out pretty far and require a belt when i wear them).. its hard to know if these are really going to fit or not... considering that you have a pair, would you say i have a good chance of fitting into them? i know its hard to answer this, especially over the internet, but you just seem to know the most about these skinners around here, and id like your final opinion on them before i try and get those 30x30s... thanks a lot for your help!

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the fossil jeans you mentioned measure about 30-30.5 inches around the INSIDE of the waistband, and seeing how they have the same rise as the skinners, they should fit fairly similar in the waist.

However, as for the other parts, crotch, thigh, knee etc, that I am not sure of; they are cut fairly slim in the thigh, so if you have really large quads that might not work.

The length is also fairly true to size (on my 32 inseams at least), however I have found after wash they shrank about a quarter of an inch. It is possible to stretch them out while still wet to preserve length, but I have not tried this.

Up to you, the seller's price ($30 i believe?) is a pretty awesome deal in itself, and if it doesn't work out im sure there are plenty of people here or at superfuture that would want them.

thefir

Reaction score
Well thank you again... It sounds like these jeans could be a very good fit for me... I'm definitely going to try and snag them. Sure, I can't be positive until I get them, but for $30, it is definitely worth the shot... I have a feeling the legs will fit well, since I basically have no thighs haha (aka most jeans/pants look stupid and baggy on me)

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no probs, be sure to report back if/when you get them and try it on...

man, i should get commission or something from the seller
laugh.gif

BigSur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
No, they are sanforized (pre-treated to prevent permanent shrinkage). In my experience they will shrink back only as much as to their original size after wash. So when new the skinners are 30". When you wear them they'll stretch to 30.5-31 inches. When you wash them they'll shrink back to the original 30", and when you wear them they will stretch back out again.

Then again the closest thing my pair have been to washing is a 1hr long soak in lukewarm water.

Actually, I don't think they are sanforized. I washed my pair and skipped the drier and they still shrank a significant amount, a little over an inch in the inseam and an inch in the waist (which stretched back out right away).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads