• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hard lesson learned: Put things on Hold

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
For the past year I've been looking for a dark grey/charcoal sport coat that REALLY grabs me. With the new Century21 opened in Queens, I went in to see what they had and I found it I walked by the sport coats section and found that jacket. Dark grey with a very small houndstooth design, BOSS Black label and in my size, 2 btn with side vents. My budget was unchanged at $300 and there it was for $299. I tried it on, and with a minor cuff alteration, it would be perfect, just what I was looking for. I found nothing online or in stores that fit my price range and was the right shade of dark grey. I have to clear the purchase with my wife since we share the account but since this was long in planning, it wasn't an issue.

Yesterday, a week later, I saw the jacket was still there.
bounce2.gif
I went up to the register, pulled out my debit card, and WHAM! Card was denied
eh.gif
Tried again, and again in 2 different registers. Never happened before. This money was budgeted for a LONG time, the funds were there. I was dumbfounded. Of course what came to my mind was what if someone got into my account. So I left and headed for the bank which took a few minutes. Luckily everything checked out. I took out the money in cash, but had to take care of a few house errands before I could go back.

Less than two hours had passed when I went back to the store looking for the coat, only to find that it is no longer there. I looked everwhere, even had the section manager help me. It was nowhere to be found
facepalm.gif
That jacket must have been there for weeks and NOW after only less than two hours of being IN MY HANDS, it's gone!!!
censored.gif
angry.gif
baldy[1].gif
puzzled.gif
eek.gif

I went looking in the other Century21 in the city and nothing. I searched online to see if I can find that same jacket. Nope. That was it.

If I had asked them to put it on hold, I wouldn't be writing this now. But alas, once again, I must wait some more.

The moral of the story: If you see something you like, doesn't matter where you are, PUT IT ON HOLD!

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
For the past year I've been looking for a dark grey/charcoal sport coat that REALLY grabs me. With the new Century21 opened in Queens, I went in to see what they had and I found it I walked by the sport coats section and found that jacket. Dark grey with a very small houndstooth design, BOSS Black label and in my size, 2 btn with side vents. My budget was unchanged at $300 and there it was for $299. I tried it on, and with a minor cuff alteration, it would be perfect, just what I was looking for. I found nothing online or in stores that fit my price range and was the right shade of dark grey. I have to clear the purchase with my wife since we share the account but since this was long in planning, it wasn't an issue.

bounce2.gif
eh.gif
Tried again, and again in 2 different registers. Never happened before. This money was budgeted for a LONG time, the funds were there. I was dumbfounded. Of course what came to my mind was what if someone got into my account. So I left and headed for the bank which took a few minutes. Luckily everything checked out. I took out the money in cash, but had to take care of a few house errands before I could go back.

Less than two hours had passed when I went back to the store looking for the coat, only to find that it is no longer there. I looked everwhere, even had the section manager help me. It was nowhere to be found
facepalm.gif
That jacket must have been there for weeks and NOW after only less than two hours of being IN MY HANDS, it's gone!!!
censored.gif
angry.gif
baldy[1].gif
puzzled.gif
eek.gif

I went looking in the other Century21 in the city and nothing. I searched online to see if I can find that same jacket. Nope. That was it.

If I had asked them to put it on hold, I wouldn't be writing this now. But alas, once again, I must wait some more.

The moral of the story: If you see something you like, doesn't matter where you are, PUT IT ON HOLD!

Lesson learned, I take it?
laugh.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

This is what I plan with Despos.

- B

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

bounce2.gif
eh.gif

facepalm.gif
censored.gif
angry.gif
baldy[1].gif
puzzled.gif
eek.gif

dayum. i feel your pain. ive had something like that happen to me, sort of. but not to that extent. something ive been looking for awhile, some personal grail item you were looking for at the RIGHT price. to console you, perhaps even putting things on hold wouldnt have done the trick. ive had things on hold just to return to find out the sales kid never did.

what could have been better would to call your cc company right there and then. usually the store will allow you to make the call and sort it out. ive had that happen to me once at gucci years ago. went to buy a pair of shoes, and bam the cc was denied. i called the cc company through their gucci office in the back and they explained they thought it was suspicious of a 500 dollar gucci purchase (this was when i started getting into gucci and stuff). settled it and then they reactivated my card.

maybe it was best. you find a hugo boss charcoal sc and then a month later find a nicer item somewhere else then you find yourself trying to unload the hugo boss here for less.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the past year I've been looking for a dark grey/charcoal sport coat that REALLY grabs me. With the new Century21 opened in Queens, I went in to see what they had and I found it I walked by the sport coats section and found that jacket. Dark grey with a very small houndstooth design, BOSS Black label and in my size, 2 btn with side vents. My budget was unchanged at $300 and there it was for $299. I tried it on, and with a minor cuff alteration, it would be perfect, just what I was looking for. I found nothing online or in stores that fit my price range and was the right shade of dark grey. I have to clear the purchase with my wife since we share the account but since this was long in planning, it wasn't an issue. Yesterday, a week later, I saw the jacket was still there.
bounce2.gif
eh.gif
Tried again, and again in 2 different registers. Never happened before. This money was budgeted for a LONG time, the funds were there. I was dumbfounded. Of course what came to my mind was what if someone got into my account. So I left and headed for the bank which took a few minutes. Luckily everything checked out. I took out the money in cash, but had to take care of a few house errands before I could go back. Less than two hours had passed when I went back to the store looking for the coat, only to find that it is no longer there. I looked everwhere, even had the section manager help me. It was nowhere to be found
facepalm.gif
censored.gif
angry.gif
baldy[1].gif
puzzled.gif
eek.gif
I went looking in the other Century21 in the city and nothing. I searched online to see if I can find that same jacket. Nope. That was it. If I had asked them to put it on hold, I wouldn't be writing this now. But alas, once again, I must wait some more. The moral of the story: If you see something you like, doesn't matter where you are, PUT IT ON HOLD!

in the spirit of good service, the person who was helping you at the store should have known how serious you were about buying the item and placed it aside for at least a couple hours.....I would've done that without even been asked.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
in the spirit of good service, the person who was helping you at the store should have known how serious you were about buying the item and placed it aside for at least a couple hours.....I would've done that without even been asked.

This is Century 21.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No kidding!

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bounce2.gif
eh.gif

facepalm.gif
censored.gif
angry.gif
baldy[1].gif
puzzled.gif
eek.gif

There is one positive thing I can say for certain in the aftermath: there is nothing irreplaceable about a Hugo Boss sportjacket -- it was perfect for you and I understand that, it sucks you couldn't have it, but there will be others indistinguishable from it and potentially made to a much higher standard (RLPL etc.). I expect you will find a few good candidates on the B&S forum within a month or two if you're assiduous about keeping watch.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lighten up, even if you told them so, chances are the jacket would still be gone.

In a perfect world with perfect people one's word can be trusted, but it isn't.

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
How embarrassing. You should've put it on hold noob. How old are you, 21?

bounce2.gif
eh.gif

facepalm.gif
censored.gif
angry.gif
baldy[1].gif
puzzled.gif
eek.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dropout5
interesting, i would have thought the lesson learned is to not have to ask your wife before buying something
wink.gif

i know your kidding, and this isnt pointed to you, but to clarify this concept that some people (mostly unmarried) here do not get:

you own a budget along with another person. let say in a dept in a company and the other guy is a male coworker.
where you apportion some of the money to where and when and how much you have to let the other guy know and have to come to an agreement before you make the expenditure. if you are both responsible for the budget.

same thing in a marriage. you are owning a budget along with another person (happens to be a woman, a wife). this by no means denounces her level of authority in this at all.
you both still have to let each other know, come to an agreement before making any expenditures.

now some people here dont get it becuase their definition of 'wife' is from some arcane principles that the woman has no authority over the man.

most who are successfully married come to agree with me.

...now hiding things from the wife... well, that is basically, knowing she is significant, but you still want to eat your cake. that is fine and all fun , but then the arcane principled persons here would exclaim "why do you have to hide from the wife, you are ruler/boss over her!" or some bs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads