Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hanibal TV show suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by David Reeves, Apr 26, 2013.

1. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Has anyone seen this show? I am a big fan of silence of the lambs and to a degree man hunter,red dragon hanibal etc so I was looking forward to this. I have to say I think the cinematography is quite nice and reminiscent of SOTL but I'm very disappointed with Hanibals wardrobe which seems very, very out of place.

It looks expensive but it's very foppish and vulgar IMO. Mad clashing colors and patterns, there's super long trousers and shirt gap (even belts) between vest and trousers that looks slovenly, not at all like the Dr's proper, upright and unerving presence.

In the movie hanibal Sir Anthony wears a great black (or midnight) DB with slant pockets, it's "wrong" strictly but looks just enough flamboyant and sinister. I think it's one of my favorite suits seen onscreen but I can never find any good shots of it.

Opinions? Do you find Hanibal's dress surprisingly....tasteless?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

2. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I noticed he buttons both his buttons...

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Vulgar is exactly the right word.

4. manchambo

manchambo Senior member

I agree that it's vulgar, but not sure I agree that it is out of character. To me his dress is a reflection of his behavior, and especially his eating: a perversion of civility.

5. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Yes but hasn't it been established that Hanibal Lecter is especially repulsed by vulgarity?

A scoot around the interwebs leads me to believe he's wearing phineas cole, that just seems really bizarre, he just has to wear European tailoring. I'm tending to think Italian actually looking purely at the character from the books but Hopkins just looks like he's screaming to wear a DB Gieves and Hawkes, certainly something slightly military.

6. manchambo

manchambo Senior member

I think he hates what he finds to be vulgar, but he's also a person who makes beautiful, gourmet meals from human flesh. He takes high culture and makes it monstrous. I think his clothes in the show, which are beautifully constructed yet grotesque, are very much like his cooking.

7. pendragon

pendragon Senior member

And of course he is insane.