1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hanging Trousers From the Cuffs

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, Nov 5, 2004.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Distinguished Member

I have heard more than once that trousers should be hung upside down from the cuffs, rather than hung over a hanger. Anyone here hang their trousers from the cuffs?

2. wja

wja Well-Known Member

Yep.

3. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior Member

4. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior Member

When I first started hanging my slacks on proper pant hangers, I hung them from the waist. Then I realized that because of the extra weight on the waist end, it was better to hang them from the cuffs, as the weight would help pull out any wrinkling. Then at some point, for reasons I'm at a loss to explain, I started hanging them waist side up again. But now I've recently returned to cuffs-up.

So... yeah.

(Aren't you just so pleased that I shared that inane narrative with you?)

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

My understanding based on fairly recently gained sartorial knowledge is to hang them by the cuffs from a clip-type hangar is preferable. Before that, I would hang them on the same hangar as the jacket and consequently would usually have a crease where I hung them.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I do, I got a bunch of wood suit hangers with clamps from Marshalls and I use those for all my suits. For odd pants I have a bunch of different kinds of clamps which looks kind of bad in my closet, but I also learned something about the different types of clamps. The best ones IMO are large flat grooved wood with a large center cutout for the seam to run through. These hold onto the cuffs without distorting them. I have some plastic ones and they distort the cuffs, but work fine for uncuffed pants.

Hanging them over a hanger bar is not really bad for them, but if you use the kind that flips around and snaps in it will crease them. Try to find the kind with a wide bar with sticky stuff on it so they don't slide off.

7. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior Member

I agree -- if you don't have room to hang your pants straight, at least use hangers padded with a thick sponge covering, though they can be (oddly) quite difficult to find. Â I once found a multi-pant hanger like this in Pintchik. Â It worked fairly well, though I wouldn't advise a multi-pant hanger unless you're really cramped for space. Â The padding does a great job of preventing a crease... [​IMG]

8. j

Cool... more room for more clothes.. heheh. As it is I have to get rid of some stuff, my closet is actually completely full. Ebay rampage coming up.

9. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior Member

Actually, here's what looks like a good single-pant model: [​IMG] This one is from Stacks and Stacks, a housewares outfit with whom I've had good dealings in the past. You wouldn't believe how many online 'specialty' hanger resources I checked that had nothing even remotely like this. http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html....nts.htm

10. j

I remember looking for them online as well. I found a bunch of really nice wood hangers, but they were extremely expensive (relative to my budget). Marshalls and Ross consistently have the ones I got for a really good price, sometimes on clearance. They are dark red glossy wood, and though I don't remember the brand the tag is black and says "SUIT" on it.

11. Tom

Tom Senior Member

I use the hangers that I get form the dry cleaners. The clamp type hangers never work for me, and my pants (none have cuffs) simply slip out and fall on the floor.

-Tom

12. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior Member

Well, those actually aren't terrible, as far as creasing goes -- certainly better than a 'fancy' wood hanger with the interlocking wood and wire rods. And you can't beat the price.

Though you could use the clamp type and hang from the waist...

13. j

Sounds like you need different clamp hangers. I have a few kinds that all work with various uncuffed pants, cotton, worsted, flannels, thin, thick, etc. Some have felt stuff inside, some have grooves, and if you wanted to get inventive you could stick some foam rubbery stuff in the inside.

14. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

i use a two-clip type hanger. the clips are mounted on a rod and the can slide sideways, so i clip the two ends of the cuffs and slide them apart to tighten. seems to work pretty well.

the other feature of these hangers is a hook that projects below the hanger loop, which can be used to hang another hanger. this lets you daisy-chain your hangers.

i dunno if any of that made sense. i just said 'hanger' a bunch of times, it seems like too many. i'm too tired to edit right now.

/andrew

15. esquire.

esquire. Distinguished Member

I use the two clips on a sliding rod as well. But, I don't know if I'll continue to use it. My problem is that I end up wasting so much time fiddling around with sliding the clips to the right distance. Otherwise, the cuffs end up in taught in certain areas and not in different parts.

And, I'm afraid that all this will put stress on the cuffs. It seems that since that the waist should be able to handle more pressure and stress than the cuffs area.