• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hanging shirts with French (double) cuffs

alchimiste

Reaction score
When you have shirts with French double cuffs on hangers in a closet, what do you do to the cuffs? do you unfold them? or do you fold them with links? or fold them without links?
The latter would keep them in shape. I would use lights links for this, not heavy metallic ones.

Mathieu

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
When I get them back from the dry cleaner, they have little plastic clips on them keeping them folded. This seems like teh best way to me.

Dan

alchimiste

Reaction score
That's also what I tend to do (although I have to McGuyverize the clips since I iron them myself.)

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's also what I tend to do (although I have to McGuyverize the clips since I iron them myself.)
I leave them unfolded. And I iron them "flat", not cuffed. I don't think it's the right way to do it, but I don't like "creased" double cuffs.

.luc

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I used to do them as Luc does, but have started creasing them, which seems to be the standard way of doing it. Is not creasing them acceptable ironing behavior?

johnw86

Reaction score
I'm with Luc. Iron flat and hang unfolded; then I create the fold when I put on the shirt and attach the links.

(My thinking is that ironing flat is less stressful on the fabric than ironing in a folded crease.)

jester

Reaction score
Same here. I don't want the fold to be enforced with an iron. And cuff links? Shouldn't that be something that you choose when you're about to wear it, not when it comes out of the wash?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't iron the crease in. Besides leading to quicker fraying, it will help set any ring-around-the-cuff that washing didn't take out, that otherwise might be removed easily later. Plus, it's just one more very visible place to easily over-iron and end up with shiny spots or scorching. That much fabric thickness doesn't allow much forgiveness.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I find that if you let the laundry fold the cuffs, they fold them in the wrong place at least half the time. Then the fold sets, and when you correct it, there is an unsightly, additional crease. I ask them to leave my cuffs flat.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I didn't know I'd be in the minority here.  I iron my own shirts, and generally press the cuff folded.  What looks better...the roll or the crease?

edit: you guys press the collar, right? the arguments against pressing the cuff seem to argue against having the collar pressed as well...

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I didn't know I'd be in the minority here.  I iron my own shirts, and generally press the cuff folded.  What looks better...the roll or the crease?

edit: you guys press the collar, right?  the arguments against pressing the cuff seem to argue against having the collar pressed as well...
As stated in my original post, I prefer the roll to the crease.

What do you mean by "pressing" the collar ? I iron my shirts, and I iron the collar flat as well, from the inside, just like the cuffs.

.luc

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I fold the collar down and press it folded from the inside, because otherwise they often don't stay folded properly. I rarely wear a tie, so keep that in mind. Nothing worse than the flattening disco collar syndrome.

johnw86

Reaction score
I'm with Luc and 4Mica on the collar. Iron flat--but I do fold it down on the hanger--and then adjust after I've added the necktie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads